Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1st Fret - Fret buzz - advice needed

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by seratone, Mar 3, 2004.

1. seratone

seratone

Feb 27, 2004
    I 've got a 72 precision I bought on Ebay then had a neck job done (to remove the familiar 12th fret warp)...It was the most woderful bass for two years, I didn't even change the strings. Then I moved it out of my rehearsal space and into my loft (damp basement to dry electric heat)...and changed the strings to do some home recording - to what I guess is a lighter guage... now I'm getting a nast buzz on all four strings at the first and second fret...is this simply a case of raising the saddles or back to the set up guy?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Try raising the saddles, if not, then your neck might need more relief in it.

3. Most of the time when first frets buzz It's a matter of neck relief, I'd check the truss rod more than the saddles if I were you

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Agreed.

5. seratone

seratone

Feb 27, 2004
    Ah, thanks that worked amazingly well...my 72 P is back to it's former glory, I backed off on the truss rod and lowered sadles considerably...

It had gone through a little trauma recently from moving to a different climate and me getting lighter strings (several sets in a sale). It's got to be the flattest early 70's P Neck I have ever seen, and plays better than when I got it back from the luthier.

seratone