1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1st FRETLESS,STRING SUGGESTION

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rptrsn2, Apr 19, 2010.

1. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    I got my first fretless the other day and am trying to decide on some strings. the bass is a traben sun 5, j+mm config. sounds a bit bright and thin with the rounds it has on it now. looking for something a bit darker sounding but still with some zing, maybe some flat chromes? thanks

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Chromes might work.

Personally, I am back to using rounds on my fretless basses. I just like the sound better than with flats or chromes.

3. I will always recommend La Bella Flatwounds they are very mellow sounding and in my opinion are the perfect string. I have used both the black tapewound and the regular flatwounds and LOVE both. What kind of sound are you going for?

4. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    I just a thicker ballsy sound if that makes any sense.

5. I've had tapes, flats and nickels on my fretlesses over the years. While I live flats and have them on other basses, I finally settled on some medium gauge nickels for the fretless. I found them to provide the most amount of the mwah sound that I look for with a fretless.

6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    roto swing bass 66 nickle on my fretless. very articulate!

7. The only flats I've tried are Chromes, and I like them a lot.
    However, I have found that the length and guage are quite different in terms of sound/feel.
    I have a 35in 5-string with the super long super light guage 4-string set (40-95), and a single superlong B (132). I love them. They have a nice effect on the mwah too.
    The regular guage 5 set (45-132) was too high-middy for me.

8. SquierBender

SquierBender

Oct 22, 2009
    Chromes are the bomb!

9. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    Check out the Dave Pomeroy video on youtube or the GHS site for the pressurewound on fretless footage. Another nice option.

10. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca

He is an endorser of course but wear some headphones and judge for yourself.

11. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    thanks for the input but after a couple days with this have found its not worth the price of new strings. gonna give it to me 10 year old to play with so he'll leave my p bass alone. thanks anyway

12. +1

DR Sunbeams are what I use now -- nickle rounds all the way on fretless.