1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1st. gig as a bass player report

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Crusher47, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Played a couple of gigs as a guitar player many moons ago, recently took up bass and played a couple of informal house parties for friends but last night was my first ever gig on a stage, with lights, sound-guy, playing in front of strangers, etc.

Made a couple of small mistakes here and there but I don't think the audience really noticed it. Couple of embarassing/noob moments, the first was during setup, sound-guy asked if my amp had a "direct out"....I've heard this term before but didn't really know what it meant so I said sheepishly "Not sure"....he looked on the back and said, "yup, there it is", plugged his cable in and that was it....nothing major, but felt like a dumbass for a minute.

The other crappy moment was during one of our songs in the middle of our set, the singer accidentily stepped on my tuner pedal and I didn't see it, so I played half a song with no bass at all...I kept playing but obviously couldn't hear myself. When the song was over I wasn't sure what happened, but looked down and saw my tuner pedal was on, so that would explain it.

Other than those small issues, the set went great! We played for about 45-50 minutes, got good crowd reaction/applause, compliments after the set, etc. It was a lot of fun!

TL/DR: Played first set, went great except for singer stepping on tuner pedal shutting off my bass for half a song.

Oddly, hrodbert696 and Winfred like this.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Way to go. It only gets better and more addicting from there.

3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Ha! Kelly has done this to me a couple times. Heck, I've done it to myself a couple times. It always scares the juice out of me every time it happens. I always think that something has blown up.

I'm glad to hear everything went well with only minor annoyances. It's only gets better from here. Keep up the good work. And break a leg!

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

4. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

This kind of thing is great. Welcome to the craziness!