1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1st gig in 16 years tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jhines77, Apr 28, 2010.

1. jhines77

jhines77

Feb 23, 2010
    My 1st gig in 16 years is tomorrow night. I'm playing with a 10 piece funk/soul band and I can't wait. I'm older and fatter but I'm having a blast. Hopefully I'm back for good. Has anyone else taken a long break from music? Life sure is better with music.

John:hyper:

2. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Welcome back! I think you will find that for the last 16 years you were missing the outlet and sanity that playing bass live can do for you!

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I took a long break too, about as long as you, and nothing beats being back in music.
    I feel like a part of my soul has come back to me - like there had been a big hole that I had gotten so used to that I didn't even know it was there, until I started playing again and BAM I felt whole again.
    Have a great gig - 10 piece funk/soul band sounds like a blast indeed!

4. about thirty years or so.....don't know if i'll ever play out again but i'm enjoying the how good do you think you'll get before you croak race.....aim high and enjoy

5. Upright4

Upright4

Mar 7, 2010
    I haven't played in a band for about nine years. A band I had played with for a long time broke up, and since then I've given my time to my family. I decided to wait until my son leaves for college, which is happening this August. I've been practicing and planning my return to playing.

Yes, life is better with music. When I am playing with a band I feel most fully myself - like, this is who I really am.

6. normalized

normalized

Jun 25, 2009
    san francisco
    Ten year break for me. Formerly a guitarist, came back as a bassist you certainly have a sense of perspective. Weird to be playing with noisy punk bands again with younguns.

Sometimes hard to get your age group out to your shows though.

But definitely a mindf*** sometimes!

After a while it's like you never took a break.

7. C47

C47

Mar 16, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I took ten years off and one day got remotivated after going to a John Fogerty concert. I auditioned for a cover band and have been gigging 3 times a month. Classic rock stuff.

Played in a southern rock band many years ago and got tired of
    playing to big drunk crowds and driving 6 hours to gigs.

Now its small slightly drunk crowds close to home.

Feels a lot more fun the second time around. No stress, hardly no pay
    and its a blast.

8. beatlesfan64

beatlesfan64

Apr 11, 2010
    I haven't gigged in about three years. I am only 23, but I would love to get back out there....

It is funny to think back becuase I was always asked for my ID when I was 20 but we never got into trouble because of our top notch excuses (I left my wallet at home haha!)

9. 25-years ago I stopped playing for one year after playing solid for 15-years and it was a great change. I got rid of all the crap I thought was important, thought and playing/lick wise and started having fun again. ..... Now since then it hasn't always been fun, mostly because of other musicians insecurities and egos, but I've managed not to get swept up in that crap and kept the reason I picked up the bass in the first place front and center.

10. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    6 year break for me.
    Good to be back!

11. Good luck and welcome back to the bottom and yes I took off 10 years to spend time with my little ones who are now in there teens. I am rocking again and loving it!

12. meycom

meycom Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Southern Wis.
    Just started again after raisinig my boys... close to 25 years... only did party gigs before, now were more professional.

13. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    Took a twenty year break when I got married and return back in '92. Loving every second of it now.

14. I ducked out of playing for 12 years, been back for 20. Still going strong, it seems playing bass is in my blood. Only thing that got in the way...really got in the way...was when I was 1st married, working 6 days a week, many, many hours, + trying to start/raise a family. But all the issues connected with that settled down, and I'm back to my favorite passtime...rock & roll...

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i quit playing for 3 months once. that's about as long as i could do it. tried to get out of it a few times but i still kept playing. 16 years isn't bad, though...just like riding a bicycle!

16. Bobby B

Bobby B

Jul 24, 2009
    Dallas, Tx
    I took off 20 years, and am loving being back on stage. Forgot how much fun it is... :D

Welcome back!

17. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    Started playing when I was 17. I ended playing when i was 22. I'm 27 now and I pulled the old bass out from under my bed back at my parents place a month ago after my friend sent me two albums: lettuce - Rage! and Brian Culbertson - Bring Back the Funk. I think I'm gonna have formal instruction this time around.

18. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    after ten years or so i dusted the axes off and got gigging again for about three months and it was thebest thing i could have done; i had seriously forgotten the adrenaline rush it was to play live.
    the difference is that now it is more fun and less time is wasted on impressing anybody. it is a lot more fun and don't feel like i have much to prove anymore except maybe singing more.

19. I laid off for 23 years from 1973 to 1996...but when I got my gear from my parents' house where it had been stored, I started back up and now play in a surf and classic rock band. I really do enjoy it, and when you play with guys in their 50's and 60's there aren't any aspiring rock star issues, and there's very little little ego. I like it a lot!

20. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    John, I took a break of about 6 years or so in my late 20s/early 30s, just because I sort of lost contact with a lot of folks and didn't really put myself out there enough to get asked. I regret those 6 years now, badly - what a waste.

But for all of us who missed a beat, what's gone is gone. Forward! And have a real blast on your gig.