1st Gig With My 6er

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by cassanova, Oct 31, 2005.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    So I got invited to sub for a friends band for a halloween party. Reluctently, I accepted the gig. I was reluctent to take it because I'm not very comfortable and confident on the 6 string yet. Luckily, Ive had years of experience with a 5 string. Anywho, I did the gig and other than a few minor glitches, I think I performed well. The glithes were stupid little mistakes especially with slapping/popping. I'm still not comfortable with the narrow string spacing and that caused me to botch a a slap part and hit a bad string or 2. Luckily, after the blooper, I got right back on track, none the less it was still embarassing. I gotta admit it was a blast to be back on a stage playing bass in front of a crowd. Especially, the pretty woman that were there.
  2. Congrats man.
    I remember my first gig with a 6er. I had been playing 4s up until about a week prior. The string spacing takes some time to get used to, and the slapping stuff comes with practice.

I'm sure there are some vet 6ers that can relate to this.

Speaking of...I'm always suprised how les claypool can switch from 4s to 6s on the fly, and fretlesses at that. I think carl Thompson must build those fours with INSANELY tight spacing.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I made a complete fool of myself the first time I took a six out (the day I bought it... duh). Made sure I remedied those problems immediately;)

Now I'm as comfortable on a six as my fours and fives.
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I wouldve made a complete fool of myself, but all of the music I played that night barely required a 5 string, so I only used that C string minimally to make certain passages a bit easier. I'm really starting to love it!
  5. What type of bass is it?
  6. form52

Mar 17, 2005
    Ya the first gig with a six was a little sketchy.. but I made it through pretty well. What I did was continue playing my 5 at shows until I was a lot more comfortable with playing the 6 at home just practicing.

I've been playing 6'ers for Years now and I can pretty easily switch between my 4 string fenders and my 6 pretty easily. What you have to do if you intend to play both is practice every day ON both! For a while I caught myself ONLY playing on my 6 at home so when I went to play the fender with different tunings on top of it all!, it was a disaster. So I started playing both equaly at home while practicing.. now it just feels natural to switch between the two with no second thoughts about differences in the spacing and mindsets in playing technique.

Congrats on the first gig with the 6! just remember, nothing has changed.. it's still all about a lot of quality practicing.
  7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Ibanez SR506
  8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, I waited until the second day I had mine, but I didn't do so hot either. I was used to playing a narrow-spaced fiver (Modulus Q5) and went to a wide-spaced 6er (F Bass BN6).

Needless to say, I spent plenty of time woodshedding with the 6 before it came out to a gig again. ;)
  9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I've been doing as much woodshedding as I can squeeze in since the gig. I don't have much time to do that with school and work schedules. So the process is taking longer than I'd like it to and am used to. Sooner or later I'll nail it.

Oddly enough, the same band I sat in with has asked me back for another gig, but I shot it down due to insecurities I have from the last gig.