1st gigging rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bushfire, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Well, I don't know a heck of a lot about amps, but what I do know is my current amp is small and would like to upgrade to a small - medium gigging amp set up.

However, I really don't know anything about amps at all so a little background knowledge would be very helpful, because I honestly do not know where to start.Like what's a head unit etc? How are all these things set up? To name a few. What do you guys think of an amp like the vox T-60?

Thanks for any help.
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    DONT GET THE VOX!! That said, a head is a power unit. If you have a combo amp right now, the head is the thing with all the dials. A head is made up of a preamp and a power amp. Both parts of the head could be solid state or tube. Tube is generally more expensive in the power amp, but the tube preamps cost about the same as a solid state one. An alternative to a head is a rack, where you get a seprate pre and power amps. The power amp has impedance ratings which you much match with the cabs. Solid state power amps have different watts with different cabs, but tube power amps have the same. That said, I recommend for small-medium size rig a Avatar cab paired with one of their special deal heads unless you want to spend a bunch of money. www.avatarspeakers.com
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    For smaller/mid sized gigs I'd choose a 4x10 (four 10" speakers) and a head that's 350 watts or more. A 2x10 would be a bit small in my estimation, and I think that 10's are pretty versitile depending on your tonal needs. There are some good reasonably priced 2x12's around these days too that would be pretty all purpose.

Without knowing more about what type of music you're planning on playing I can't say much else. If you're in a metal or hard rock band and you're fighting with big guitar sounds and/or a drummer who lays in to his kit hard you might need something bigger/more powerful.
  4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    What is your budget??
  5. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Why not get the Vox? I played through an AC-50 for a few years.
    There are a ton of routes you can take. Pre/power + cab, head + cab, larger combo + ext. cab, always DI to the board etc.
    What's your current gig? What is a "medium" event to you? How much are you looking to spend? What kind of sound are you going for? What basses do you use even? The more you tell us about your playing and situation, the more input we can effectivly give you.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Dont get the Vox because its a 112 60 watt SS amp and those will not cut through at all for even a medium size gig. Then again, that kinda depends on how big you consider medium sized... Also, I've played through many 112 60 watt combos, and have one for practice. If this Vox is like any of the others, its going to start sounding bad at about 3/4 volume, and you're going to need all the volume you can get from the thing. I think theres just better ways to go.
  7. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    You should begin your quest by reading the "Combo Amp Megathread". Do a search on "combo amp" and you may decide you need a head/cab setup. ;)
  8. Thanks a lot for your input. What do you guys recommend? Combo or something more complicated?
  9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You really need to tell everyone what type of music/venues and price range to get any specific advice.

10. Actually IMHO it doesn't matter what kind of music/venue you play, a Head or Pre/power set-up is the way to go due to flexibility and weight issues.