1st Jam Ever

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Surgeon, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Well TBers I finally did it. After one year of practicing in my bedroom where only my wife and kids could hear what I was doing I broke out last night and went to jam with a band in the area in need of a bassist.

It was great. (From my perspective--jury's still out on what they thought!) This group of guys covers songs so we played "Harder to Breathe" by Maroon 5, some Bryan Adams, Lit, and then just played around with me hitting roots and the guitarists fiddling around on top. Only lasted an hour--sort of an audition for me--but it was exhilarating. Sure hope I end up playing with them again.

Anyone else remember their first jam session or first performance and willing to share it? :bassist:
  2. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Harder to breathe is fun to jam!But good for you man hope it turns out well!
  3. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Congrats, I hope you get the gig.

My first jam session was with some friends. I could not believe how much fun it was. It made me realize that I really needed to get in to a band.
  4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Hey, congrats. :bassist:

I have a tip based on my experience - don't get hung up on getting the call back. You had fun right? Don't let it sour the experience if they never call you back. I've fallen victim to this - getting my hopes up for a call back after a good jam / audition and being told "hey that was great - we'll definately be in touch" only to get the brush off. I got upset when they never called back. Folks here at TB will tell you that most players with a gig went on several auditions before ever getting a call back. Just rememebr what Frank Zappa said: "You should be digging it while it's happening - 'cause it just might be a one shot deal"

...so, I really hope they call you back and you get the gig - if not, do not let it bother you.
  5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

Listen to this man he speaks the truth. There will be many chances to jam with people.
    The local musician want ads website in Maryland is littered with BassPlayer wanted ads. I could audition every night of the week. :D I do hope this works out for you though.
  6. Thanks for all the well wishes. Jamming really was fun and well worth the experience even if the end result is not the gig. When I started playing I was never even sure that I would ever play for anyone outside of my bedroom - so just going and laying it on the line was a big step for me.
  7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I consider myself a "bedroom bassist" as well. I picked it up as a hobby and never really intended for anyone else to really hear me. I love jammin with people, makes me realize what i need to work on most.

My first true "jam" was a good one. I was helping my friend produce a show at our university called "fusion". The whole concept was to just get a bunch of random people together and just play random improv. He asked if i wanted to play bass in one of the jams and i agreed. Although i was nervous as all hell i think i held my ground.

Plus i have it on tape so in 20 years i can look back at my first "jam" and make fun of myself. Kinda neat.