1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1st Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by plastik-bass[?], Jun 25, 2007.

1. mk I have been playing bass about a year now and figure its time to up all my gear...already got a new amp on the way and saving up for my new bass.

i do not own a pedal and i play in a hard rock/grunge band and have been wondering if a pedal could maybe help me out..add a little affect and kick to my playing. If so what do you guys have in mind that might help me

thanks in advance:bassist: :bassist: :) :)

money isnt too much of a problem right now cause i dont plan on getting one til late this year..birthday or christmas xD (same month)

2. I have no idea what your price range is, so I'll just say, perhaps some kind of overdrive

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Start digging around in the "show your pedalboard" threads and see what other people are using. OD/distortion is probably a good place to start, but the choice is yours and there's a lot of options.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Hmm...

When I think of grunge, I think of:

- Bass overdrive (maybe some fuzz, depending on the song)
    - Chorus (more so on the guitar)

Overall, if your amp doesn't do overdrive, I'd suggest looking into overdrive pedals. When it comes to overdrive and distortion, bass-specific pedals tend to do a better job (but lots of exceptions exist).

Is there any particular tone you have in mind, like that of a band or a particular song?

5. not really im kinda looking for my own sound to go with... i was thinking that overdrive and fuzz would be good..any suggestions on a good overdrive pedal??

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    There are TONS of options (and this topic has been visited a bazillion times). Do a search in this forum for "overdrive" and "fuzz" and read, read, read - your answer is waiting! :)

OD/distortion/fuzz covers a very wide range of sounds, and which one is right for you is purely up to personal preference. Some of the more common choices are the Boss ODB-3, Fulltone Bass-Drive, and EHX Big Muff (or one of it's siblings), but the list is nearly endless. Once again, I suggest browsing the "pedalboard" threads to see what other players are using.

Happy hunting! :D

7. Sansamp BDDI or Boss GT6-B. Or Both if you can affort it.
    Thats what I got, and its pretty sweet!

8. SonofDadBass

SonofDadBass

Sep 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Give the Digitech Bad Monkey (Overdrive) a try. Test it out in the store, it can be purchased new for $40. I got one new off Ebay for $30 shipped.

There is some debate about low end loss with this pedal, although I haven't necessarily found that to be true. I can get some considerable overdrive out of this pedal with the Gain knob turned up to 1/2. Also, I play a Pbass and if I turn the tone knob towardthe neck, the overdrive is more significant.

Again try it out. Many Talkbassers will tell you that the best way to figure out what effects you want are to test drive them. If you end up purchasing an effect that you don't particularly like you could sell it right here. Effects have pretty good resell value.

Good luck.

Dan

9. I quite like the DOD 250 for cheap overdrive goodness.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021