1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1st post, Ampeg SVT-450H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JohnnyCrash, Oct 18, 2006.

1. This is my first post here on this forum, so hello everybody!

I am a guitar player returning to my first instrument, Bass.

I've built all 7 or 8 of my own guitar amps (all vintage tube circuits)...

--

With my bass rig I'm looking for a classic "warm" sound, BUT don't want the hassle of a tube driven amp. "Hassle" meaning, reliability issues, more tubes I'd have to buy, rebiasing yet another tube amp, etc.

Anyways, I'm not into the super clean, tons-of-headroom, "hi-fi", modern sound... BUT I'm not exactly looking for a slightly overdriven tube sound either.

This will be for 70's Punk, Classic Rock (from ACDC to the Stones), and Blues (50s Chicago, Texas Roadhouse, and Rockabilly/Roots).

--

Any thoughts on the SVT-450H?

Loud enough for two guitars and a drummer? How's the tone? Any info on when this solid state "classic" originally came out?

2. Oh sorry,

As far as a cab:

I'm aiming for the 1000watt 4x10" Avatar, loaded with their custom tweaked Eminence Deltalight neodymium magnet'ed speakers (for it's lightweight and portability).

As far as my bass:
    I'll mainly be using a stock '51 reissue Fender P-Bass for "Rock" type of tones/projects (70's punk, classic rock/Stones, and some rockin Blues - as mentioned), with roundwounds. Sometimes a pick, sometimes fingers.