1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1st post-nOOb bassist-need portable, powerful/LOUD amp for...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by in the wind, Apr 1, 2009.

1. in the wind

in the wind

Dec 23, 2008
    practice at home & jammin with my friends band. Can I get something that's not too heavy but is still loud/powerful? The budget is $300-600. I have a jazz bass & I'm trying to learn funk, reggae & blues. Thanks, Michael

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You should be able to find something used in that price range. For combo's, look for at least 100 watts, and a 15" spkr, or maybe you could find a cheap halfstack, head plus 410, or 212, whatever. Check your local Craigslist. and good luck.

3. Lunchbox4u_6

Lunchbox4u_6

Dec 1, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    You might be able to pick a used Genz-Benz shuttle combo for that.

4. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    An alternative idea might be to get an active (ie: powered) P/A speaker, so you get the amp and speaker in one unit. If, later on, you decide you want to upgrade, you can always use the powered P/A speaker for a microphone or a bass monitor.

The Carvin LM15A is pretty decent. (https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=LM15A)

5. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
  6. in the wind

in the wind

Dec 23, 2008
    Thanks everyone. I would like a combo amp. I'm looking for some recommendations-brand & model. I'm a really new player & I don't know anything about amps. Thanks, Michael