1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1st post... spicing a jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deerfield, Mar 25, 2013.

1. deerfield

deerfield

Mar 25, 2013
    Italy
    Hello, I'm Tom. I've lurked here for some time, lots of info.

Yes, I'm also a gui****. Lots of guitars, always on the quest for the perfect one, and it's no fun.

Strangely enough, for basses, I appreciate monogamy: I built a Jazz from parts and don't want any other bass: allparts 3burst body, allparts rosewood neck, emg's, vintage fender bridge... I'm quite satisfied, but there's still something...perhaps it's all too new and shiny, and the neck feels too ordinary

so far I've considered:

1) send it to my tech who is amazing in relicing
    2) drag scratch and ding everything (not really)

or
    3) make it high-tech: status graphite neck (looks good with the 3t burst), hipshot tuners, j-east preamp

or
    4) buy a vintage jazz neck with that nice broken-in feel and swap.

any advice?

2. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I'd play the crap out of it until it wears in. I'm a big fan of nitro finishes because you can naturally relic an instrument in a few years. You could always just join a punk band an go crazy though. ;)

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

How about rubbing the back of the neck with a 3-M abrasive pad until you achieve that broken-in feel?

4. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Hey Tom, welcome aboard :)

Lots of folks make changes to their jazz basses, some of them never really stop, they just sort of 'pause' ;) I've got one under going a massive transformation this week as well LOL So that's sort of natural. If you've gone through tons of guitars it's probably close to the same thing.

I would suggest trying to narrow down what isn't making you 100% happy. Is it the look, is it the feel, is it the sound? Narrow down to that, and you will save yourself a lot of time and likely money as well.

5. deerfield

deerfield

Mar 25, 2013
    Italy
    unfortunately it's poly so it will be never naturally reliced in a reasonable amount of time... I've tried with 3m pads, various compunds etc but I was only making a mess so stopped. I'm considering have a pro strip it and refinish in nitro...

re. neck: perhaps it's me, but there's something in vintage fender necks that just meets my feelings... more rounded (worn?) frets...worn fretboard, naturally rounded edges... I've tried to do the same on a tele guitar and I only found happiness when I bought a vintage 70's neck and slapped it on. Perhaps I should do the same with my Jazz?

6. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Maybe a Roadworn Jazz?

7. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    ...There ya go.

8. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Send it to johnk_10 and let him refinish the neck. He can reshape it and finish it to make it feel just like a vintage Jazz, if that's what you want.

He does fantastic work. If you search around here a bit, it's easy to find plenty of testimonials to his work.

9. deerfield

deerfield

Mar 25, 2013
    Italy
    I'd like to send it to johnk_10 to have it aged, but I live in Europe... I think it's easier finding just another neck, an older one.

Now I'm thinking about a 70s one I found locally, rosewood, square markers. On the plus side, it's cheap, and in good condition with just the right amount of dings and "aging". Minus side: originally was a microtilt converted to 4 screws, with at least another set of holes plugged and some bondo on the heel. And the date stamp is not visible.

10. deerfield

deerfield

Mar 25, 2013
    Italy
    update: the dude selling the neck was upset at my request of further info...or at least a price reduction. So we parted, not before I'd told him to go f*** off. Now, I'm again in search mode on