1st pro sound gig

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jon mccumber, Sep 4, 2018.

1. I had my 1st gig as a pro sound provider on Saturday. 8 piece Motown\ swing band. I've been putting a PA together slowly over the past year and got a good deal on some older 18" subs a couple of weeks ago which gave me enough of a system to make it happen.
    I get there an hour and a half before start time and start to set up my rig. Band arives with 40 minutes left. Scramble to run mics and monitors after I have to move where I had my amps and mixer(x18)setup. No sound check, Just enough time for a quick level check and then start the 1st song.
    1st song is Vehicle by the Ides of March( I think). The 4piece horn section starts out full speed ahead. The mix was 90% there. I'm glad i spent the time to build a pretty comprehensive scene.
    After about an hour a storm came in and we had to shut down. Scrambled to cover gear and pack up. Got full pay and quite a few compliments.
    System had plenty of headroom and the mix was crisp. All and all it was pretty successful.

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    vids, or it didn't happen :)

3. I was too wrapped up tweaking the mix in the 1st set to get video. Rain came in pretty fast toward the end of the set. Opportunity lost.:banghead:

kittywithabanjo and s0c9 like this.
  4. Congrats! I spent twenty years or so doing live sound. Didnt mix much, just some monitors. I was mostly the "lug and plug" guy and did a lot of lighting. I miss it, but it's a job for someone young. I'm 51 now and wouldn't last two hours out in the sun now. But I do miss that moment when the house lights go down, the stage lights go up and the crowd goes crazy and you realize you had a hand in that. It's a neat feeling.

BnB

Barisaxman and jon mccumber like this.
  5. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Totally understand.. sux to have that on your first "pro" gig tho'
    Baptism by fire eh? :D

jon mccumber likes this.
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Wow. Setup to support an 8pc in 90min ? That is lightning fast in my book. I usually allow 3 hours to be setup and monitors rung out... at least for ‘not my band’ gigs. My band I can do in an hour as I have so many saved scenes.

7. Yeah, set up went pretty quick. Fear of failure is a powerful motivator. The band made it easy. They are all pros who have been gigging together for15 years. They usually run sound from the stage themselves but needed more output for this gig. The better the band, the easier the mix.

8. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I agree that 90 mins is a very short set up time. I like to have things working an hour before sound check starts, which means I never actually get everything ready until 10 mins after sound check starts ;)

bound'n'blocked likes this.
  9. I should probably leave more time in the future. I'm use to bands that I've played in in the past that could be set up in 30 mins. The scene that I wrote was pretty much spot on. I've seen the band a couple of times and knew the stage layout.
    It was my 1st time as a sound provider, but I've run sound from stage for years in bands and at the church I play at.

10. I'm 52. Iguess I'm not quite as smart as you are;)

bound'n'blocked likes this.
  11. No, you are probably just in way better shape than I am!

BnB

12. Remember. No brain.......no pain.

JACink and bound'n'blocked like this.
  13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    That explains me then at 63... then again I set my rates expecting to pay out near 50% in labor...

jon mccumber likes this.
  14. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi jon :)

tumblr_nv7rvq77t21r2ad2vo1_400.gif

:D

good job! :thumbsup:

Wise(b)ass

15. 40855298_2188871961438449_3348454502230392832_o.jpg Nice job

I mix an 11 piece band including 5 horns. I allow 3 hours for set up. Four monitor mixes and 2 IEM mixes.

I learned to always set up the stage and monitors first, them the fronts.

It amazes me how the singers and horns show up 15 minutes before show and just expect everything to be ready.

s0c9 and jon mccumber like this.
  16. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    If you don't challenge them on it, they will continue to do that :(

jon mccumber likes this.
  17. That is so true, so true.

18. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    If you can be in contact with the band ahead of time, it's always nice to exchange a drawing of the stage layout (showing mike and power outlets run) and a list of the channels required. It saves a lot of re-rigging in the minutes before the start.

jon mccumber likes this.
  19. I always insist on a stage plot before hand and you are right, best to check back before each gig asking about changes. Horn bands are notorious for changing the lineup and players with no thought of the difficulties it may incur for FOH.

jon mccumber likes this.
  20. Hope i didn't
    t steal this thread? It was not my intention sorry.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021