1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1st project

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Syco_bass, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    O.K. so I bought a bass project here on TB and I'm now begining to assemble and finish it. Here is the original thread. I bought the red one. Should have purchased both.:bawl:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700403&highlight=

As you can see I've reshaped the headstock and have added my own decals. I have assembled several Warmoth basses in the past, but I am considerring this one my first real project do to the fact that I reshaped the headstock and will be sanding and refinishing the neck myself.

Since purchasing this one, I have a couple more projects slated. One being a "road worn" 5 string 70's jazz bass with tobacco busrt body and maple/maple (blocked/bound) neck. The body is a MIM model and the neck was orderred from USA custom guitars. Can't wait to finish this one and get started on the "road worn" project.

Thanks for letting me endulge myself.

Hope you enjoy the pics as much as I'm enjoying getting my feet wet. I look forward to progressing and doing more "in house" work.

Attached Files:

2. Syco_bass

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    More pics

Attached Files:

3. Syco_bass

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Here is a shot of the original head stock shape and the new reshaped head stock with logo decals.

I'll be finishing the headstock and fret board with wipe on poly and the back of the neck with Sam Maloof's wipe on Oil/Poly blend.

Attached Files:

4. Syco_bass

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    OK so I've just about completed my 1st official project. I have another waiting in the wings once this one is complete.

That one is going to be a relic'd Jazz 5r. With BnB maple neck and tabacco burst finish. Should be a great project as well.

I call this one the "ABC" (Arizona Bass Company) J/H 5.

It is coming together quite well. The neck and action set up very easily and the action is fairly low @ 6/64 (B) and 5/64 (G) strings. I could get it down another 64th or so, but it would have to be played with a pretty light hand. The neck is very straight and setup easily with very little forward bow. (less than 10/1000ths.)

The electronics are set up as passive (battery compartment w/clip is installed incase someone should want to set it up with an active tone circuit) I installed a "P/S" switch so that the Humbucker pickup can be run in either "Perallel" or "Series" mode.

Overall so far I am very happy with the way it is turning out. I am waiting on a "J" pickup for the neck possition and a set of gold knobs and this one will be complete.