Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1st setup HELP!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Billdog, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Billdog

Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Hi everyone! I think I've decided to get a Avatar 1x12, some kind of power amp, and a preamp...maybe a 2x10 instead...either way I plan on adding a 1x15 or 18 later. I have two questions. 2x10 or 1x12? And can I use my digitech RP200 multieffects pedal as my preamp directly into the poweramp? Will that put too much strain on the poweramp or clip and hurt the speakers? I don't know how much it amplifies my signal, and I don't know how much a rackmounted preamp amplifies a signal, but I do know that my pedal definetly increases my signal cuz my bass gets way louder when I crank that pedal when the amp and bass are set up the same. Any help is much appreciated.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The Digitech probably puts out less signal than a bass pre...it would work but you'd probably not drive your poweramp to full output power. I doubt that you could get the power amp to clip.

Take the Digitech to a store and try it out as a preamp and see what happens.

I personally find that my Avatar B112 doesn't have the low end that I want. However, I love the sound of it sitting on top of my C15. Haven't tried an Avatar 2x10 but my guess is the low end would be similar and the mids would be less prominent that with a 12. You'll have to decide what type of sound you're looking for. They'll both sound good, just different.

I believe that future B112s will be front ported with a Delta 12LF so hopefully the lows will be stronger. I bought some Delta 12LFs from Dave but haven't swapped out the Kappa yet to compare.

Good luck!!!

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego