Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1st Test Coming - New Nemesis NA650 Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

All-

As many of you know, I'm am the guy to roll the dice on new gear here and give it a shot (1st to try Kustom Groove Bass, Avatar cabs, etc, etc...). I just ordered a Nemesis NA650 head. It has a new pre-amp section that differs from previous designs. I also like that it has an "Edge" control that is supposed to simulate "vintage tube overdrive" and they have upgraded the DI, etc, etc... Fed Ex say I'll have the head Friday. Here are some pics and specs, etc:

The NA650 is two spaces high and 17” wide by 11” deep. It is the flagship of the Nemesis line. The NA650 features a new, unique preamp design and an all FET output stage with 650 watts RMS @ 2 Ohms. This unit has all the features of our NA320, plus edge, gain boost, selectable DI pre/post, front panel DI level control, as well as a smooth solid FET sound with plenty of power to drive multiple cabinets.

Specifications:
    Power 650 W RMS@2Ω (270w@8 ohms and 440w@4 ohms)
    Distortion <.1%
    Frequency Response 10Hz - 18KHz
    Headroom 3db
    Dimensions 17"w x 3.5 "h x 11"d
    Weight 18 LBS

[​IMG]

2. I had the pleasure of playing through the lower power model of that head at Low Down Sound a while back, and was amazed at the volume and sound quality versus the price. Very nice sounding stuff, and cool looking to boot!

I'll look forward to your review. Enjoy the new rig!

3. Quadzilla

Thanks K. Eden claims that this is a "new pre-amp design" as noted above, so maybe the pre-amp in this is different than on the NA320. Not sure...

4. If that's the case, it's probably going to be even better! I'm very impressed with the entire new Eden line. They seem to be really getting it right... the WT550 is basically a power upgrade to the old WT300 and 400 models... which was needed, the new 800 finally is safe to run bridged into a 4ohm load, the new 1205 looks fantastic, with channel switching, etc., and the mid-line 405 (I think that's the model number) sounds great and is all SS for those that don't want the tube front end. Very nice!

5. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    +1

Eden is definitely doing a great job of updating their lineup and keeping everything fresh...they could have sat back and kept the same old gear, but they seem to be constantly making improvments!

6. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    WHat is the difference between the Eden line and the Nemisis line?

7. Quadzilla

Eden = designed and built in the U.S.
    Nemesis = designed in the U.S. but assembled overseas. In addition, the Nemesis line does not have any tube pre-amp section where as some of the Eden line offers this.

In "speaking" with the Eden folks on the Eden Forum, I'm told that they do very rigorous QA testing on the Nemesis offerings and say there are pretty much as solid and well made as the U.S. spec stuff. I'm hoping that they are correct...

8. Quadzilla

Good news is I got the head. I only have about a couple of hours on it, but I noticed that one thing is not working at all. It's the "Edge" control. It's supposed to emulate "vintage tube overdrive". It does nothing no matter what I do with it. I called tech support and they want me to take it to a repair center. No biggie, I can do that. Other than that, I LOVE the tone. Seems real powerful too. As an added bonus, they now have 2 Speakon out vs the picture here on Eden's site and all of the retailers too. More later on the Edge control repair.

9. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Sweet! You may have another winner in your hands. What is the power rating of the NA650 into 4 ohms?

10. Quadzilla

270w@8 ohms, 440w@4 ohms, 650w@2 ohms.

11. Quadzilla

Turns out the local factory authorized repair place is no longer doing repairs for Eden (or anybody for that matter). I called Music123 and they are cross-shipping me a new unit (not open-boxed like the one I got from them). Should be here Monday or Tues. Again, aside from the Edge knob issue, the head seems great solo. I'll be taking one of them to practice next week and report back how it sits in the mix. Oh, another thing that I noticed is that the head seems to weigh a fair bit more than the advertised 18lbs. I'll weigh it, but feels like 22 - 25 lbs to me. No biggie there either...

12. I'm glad to hear that. I am not a fan of having to get a brand new unit repaired... they should replace it if it was defective right out of the box. Good for you! We will look forward to a full review.

13. I would be interested to hear how you get on with this with a band, I am thinking of replacing my SWR bass 350 and this amp has caught my eye.

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What's the street price on one of these bad boys?

15. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I'm really glad :smug: for you that this turned out this way-that would have been a bad deal -to start off with a defective brand new amp-bad advertising on this site. I'm curious -what speakers you're using? Most Eden users I know use Eden cabinets, but I've always been more of a fan of Eden amps, but was afraid of jumping on the Nemisis bandwagon...recently I was seriously looking :ninja: for a good price on an Eden WT800B,but they were rare to find and I couldn't find one for other than premium price. I can't wait to hear your review...Peace... :)

16. Yeah the 2 ohms feature is great!

17. Quadzilla

No side handle, but it does come w rack ears and also comes with a footwitch to engage/disengage the "Enhance" feature (great for slappers) and also the "Mute" feature.

I opened the amp up to see if there was something that was obvious that I could fix (I've been known to fire up my soldering iron once in a while). Unfortunetly not, as the pot for the edge control is firmly in place and soldered and everything else apperars to be also.

A note on the inards of this head. Very well thought out. Nice beefy transformer (the "box type, not the round). All wiring is very neatly run and heavy gauge where needed. Boards appear to be glass epoxied and laid out well and not too crowded. Overall, just looks like a quality unit and not rushed to be put together. Even the top and case are machined well and well painted, etc.

Knobs are what I'll call the "ratchet" type that "click" with every little turn. THey have a nice positive feel that offers just enough resistance to feel like they are of quality and none of them crackle, etc.

The tone is there. Reminds me of my AMP BH-420 but not quite there (but close). It appears to have plenty of volume and headroon so far, but I won't finalize that statement until I take it to practice on Wed.

18. Quadzilla

Well bad news is that Music123 sent me an email saying that they in fact will not replace my head with anew one (I got an "open box item" for over $200 less than new, but it looks 100% new). So if I want to keep it, I will have to get it serviced. I still have little to no issues with doing that as long as the repair center uses the same exact pot as the original. I hate seeing repairs with pots that have longer shafts and don't feel the same. This is assuming that the pot is the issue. Who knows...

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'd give Eden CS a call again and see if they can find a way to make it right. I'd tell them there are no authorized repair centers in your neck of the woods.

20. Quadzilla

Looks like you are correct Cheese as guess what? THere are two repair centers listed in my state on Eden's site and one closed and the other no longer does factory repairs. I'll have to go direct now (which is a good thing in my book). Anyway, I'll report back on how the head does in practice and a live setting.