Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1st time playin in front of people, help me out!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by rhcp17, Jun 6, 2002.

1. rhcp17

rhcp17

Oct 1, 2001
    pennsylvania usa
    OK, so basically im in middle school, and in a band. We are playing for our schools talent show, and the song we are doing is 96 quite bitter beings by cky. Not my choice, but whatever, thats beside the point. My point is that we know the song good, but, I am going to play in my first concert i guess, ever. But its going to be in front of over one thousand teachers and students. We trying to keep our energy level up, even if we do look really stupid on stage, but other than that are there any suggestions for me? Thanks.

2. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    1. Have fun, try to look like you enjoy it, your audience will respond more readily than if you look like you could care less about being there.

2. Don't be a "shoe-gazer", try to make eye contact with the folks on the last row every once in a while.

3. Not to overstate the obvious, but even in a high energy thrash/metal/head-bangin'/butt-kickin'/blizzard-o-notes song, DYNAMICS seperate the "they were ok" from the "wow, those guys were really good".

4. Oh yeah, don't forget to have fun.

I'll always remember that first gig...and the older I get, the more I forget how bad we really were!:D

3. Great advice JohnL!

Make sure everyone feels that they are sharing the experience. Remember music is not only for the musicians in the band.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you have recordings of the songs you will be doing;

- Play any of those songs,
    - Just stop/pause it at any random point
    - See if you can continue playing your bass lines even though the recording isn't playing

The reason I'm suggesting this is that when you aren't used to larger audiences, your concentration will almost always be distracted. Then you snap out of it and find you are desperately trying to find your place back into the song.
    Being able to play a song only from the beginning won't serve you well.
    If you can pick up exactly where you should be at any point in the song, your confidence will be much greater.

Also, don't look into the audience if that distracts you. An old trick pro speakers use is to look just above the heads of the last row. You look like you're making eye contact with the audience but you're not.

Best of luck!

5. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Just have fun with it man...dont worry about it...I know you're gonna but really...as soon as you show up to set up...you'll feel fine...just look alive and make sure you know what your doing

good luck
    let us know how it goes:D

6. dont worry about it. you'll be nervous as hell untill you get on stage and start playing. then, about 30 seconds later you probably wont even notice the audience. and dont just stand still and play, then you like a goon...

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I predict: You will RULE! Go with it.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My only advice: make sure there is adaquate light to see the fretboard by. This has been a problem for some of us in the past...

9. Have fun with it! You'll only have one "first gig". You will be surprised at how you will naturally step up and do it. It's a rush!

10. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    I played my first "gig" back in February. Its on tape. I had fun with it. I know my parts. That makes it easy. God bless you.

11. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    Everyone will love you if:

1)You play the song well (you say you know the song so you're good on that one)

2)You "get into" it.........what i mean is; crowd interaction is good BUT If you give it everything, be yourself, do what you have to do to play well, show your enjoyment of the situation, then everyone will love it. Crowd interaction can come across as arrogant, so be yourelves

Everyone loves musicians who are caught up with playing good music......a good attitude to have is "we're gonna rock this for us" and if you have this you'll find that you "rock" it for everyone else too!!

Peace

12. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    EVERYONE knows that song from Jackass or one of the Tony Hawk games,so everyone will enjoy it.I've never played a gig so i dont have any advice.hehe

13. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Just be yourself, do it for yourself, enjoy it. That will translate to your audience. If disaster strikes ( and it may well. I tripped over a cord and damn near pulled my amp over in front of my high school peers),embrace it!! Laugh it off and keep going. Nothing kills an audiences buzz quicker than a p($$ed off musician. Have a good time and they'll have a good time.

Good luck

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    this is very true... Most places I play, they don't have the lights high enough for me so i could never see my fretboard.... I don't even look at my fretboard much any more though so I guess i don't mind it much

just have fun man, no one will ever play an exactly perfect show.. but do the best you can.

15. The first (and only) time i played a gig I played like thunderfingers for the first two songs (unintentionally), I think the audience actually dug it, so that worked out, but after a couple songs you'll realize that you're a band, and so long as you dont seriously screw up people are going to love you because its a live show and no one hates a live show! So eventually you'll get relaxed and start to groove, if you really know you can play the song well and without any trouble you could pick up a few concert dvd/vcd's and study the bassist's moves (If you like hard rock definetly get the last supper by black sabbath, geezer is BAD in there). Try to dress in a dressy casual way, no shoes, dress shirt but keep it untucked and the cuffs unbuttoned, and just some basic jeans, half the show is looking cool.

16. You'll be nervous i can assure you, the best advie is don't show the mistakes. My drummer is still a wreck when it comes to gigs, sometimes plays 5 verses, or misses a chorus etc. Rather than turning around going "you bloody idiot!" or snapping aorund and shaking your head, or rolling your eyes, I just walk around on the stage and then in that movement turn to the drummer so my back is to the audience and go "Oi!" and he mouths "F***!!" and corrects. You have to know the song though, the guitarist and i just keep playing and when the drummer changes we change too.

But yeah have fun. How many songs are you doing? If its just the one thats harder. Even our first song is known as the "warm up song" because it settles the nerves, then the rest of the set you enjoy. Interact with the crowd etc.

:D:D

Superstar.

17. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Drink some beers &
    Imagine the audiance in underwear ....

18. he said he was in middle school. lol

good luck man. tell us how it goes

19. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    What's the matter, I drink beer since my .....
    I can't remember it's too far .... I remember having beer in school restaurant when I was 5 ...

I didn"t become Barney Gumble at all !

20. my whole take on performing is that I want to let people know I love playing...performing. It's not about being "superstar" and jumping off my amps...it's about expressing what I do. Kinda like painting.