Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1st time replacing Pickups...Need help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bluebomber, May 29, 2003.

1. Bluebomber

Bluebomber

May 2, 2000
    Korea
    I need to replace the pickups in my Spector NS-200, but I dont know anything about replacing pickups. I have the stock EMG's in there, and i wasnt happy with the sound. It was too piano like, and the highs were too glassy, and the bass boost made it sound too muddy. Its a korean made one, and a neck through, so it has pretty good sustain.
    I mostly play for my church, so its mostly pretty straight rock. I want to get a warmer, smoother, thicker tone. Maybe something like a Musicman or Fender Precision. I hear good things about the Bartolinis on the forums. What do you think? what pickups do you suggest? Let me know if there is anything else i can tell you that would help your decision. Any feedback will be helpful.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I wouldn't describe musicman as "warmer and smoother", I own several and they are snarling beasts . . .

But I do think I understand what you are saying. In my experience, Bartolini's tend to be very warm and smooth, sometimes to a fault. Bartolini makes several models that although they may be the same size dimensionally, they will have different tone. I suggest you go to www.bartolini.net and start poking around.

3. Bluebomber

Bluebomber

May 2, 2000
    Korea
    well this is my problem. I have a korean made spector with EMG pickups in them. And i tried replacing some of the internal parts but i messed up the chip (which i think is a preamp?)...im not sure...but i messed that thing up. so I need to replace that...which i thought was the pickup. I was also never too happy with my sound, So i thought changing the pickup might help the problem.

Do i need to find a preamp? or a pickup?
    And will a new preamp get rid of that EMG sound that i dont like?
    What kind of pickup or preamp do you recommend?

4. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I recently did the exact same thing. Unfortunately, the EMG preamp only works with EMG pickups. I did a lot of research and that's the case. What I ended up doing was getting some bartolini soapbars and a bartolini pre system. It totally changed the sound of my bass-- made it a lot smoother and deeper, totally cut that high end fizzle that EMG's have.

5. Bluebomber

Bluebomber

May 2, 2000
    Korea
    Will the bartolinis fit into my spector?
    Is there anything you can compare the sound of the bartolinis to?
    How much will it cost?
    Is it easy enough to do it myself?
    If not do you know any bass techs around the Washington DC Area?

6. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    You'd have to go on the Bartolini website to see what fits. I had EMG-35's and there was a Bart model that fit it perfectly. I got it all on:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/bartolini.html

I got the BT set: $169 and the Bartolini 2 band eq: $65

I was able to sell my EMG's and the pre-amp, though you might not be able to sell the pre if it's damaged.

It was all easy enough to install, just a few solders and it was all set to go.

I also ordered a push pull knob so that I can switch from active to passive-- haven't gotten around to figuring out how to put that in yet, though.

7. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Oh, and comparing the bart sound... I don' t know what to compare it to exactly, but it's has a lot more low end of a feel than the EMG's. Doesn't have the high end fizzle or electric clank of EMG's. It's just a much warmer sound all around.