1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1st Time using In Ear Monitors

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by LowNloud1, Feb 16, 2016.

1. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I occasionally sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    We had our first fully wireless IEM practice session tonight and overall I am very glad we have the IEMs.

We have 2 Shure PSM300 xmtrs on the same frequency but we synced me and the drummer to one and the other guitarists and singers to the other. We all have the Shure P3RA receivers. Guitarists have the Shure SE 215 earbuds that came with the xmtr. Drummer and bassist (me) bought the Shure SE315's to get better low end.

I did bring one splitter because a member said he had another but he did not find it so we fed one xmtr off the other to make sure everything worked.

We really only needed one transmitter for tonite.

The guitars and vocals were on left channel and bass was on both but heavier on the right channel. Drums were kept on the right channel along with bass and my vocal.

We set them up with Mix Mode instead of Stereo so we could balance between left and right to our own taste. I set my receiver to emphasize the bass and my vocal and had the other vocals and guitars to where I could hear them nicely balanced.

It was difficult to hear at first. I was hearing a lot of bass distortion and we were overdriving the transmitters. We turned the input down and that cleared the distortion. I also discovered that I had not set my earbud correctly into my ear but once I got it set properly, the clarity was absolutely amazing. I cannot say enough good things about using the white triple flanged sleeves. Made all the difference in providing great bass response and clear, clean sound for me.

I was able to hear everything and everyone and the mix was very good in the IEM.

I'd say it was a complete success and it should get better.

The SE315 earbuds did a good job with the low end and I could hear my bass clearly. Not as full of a low end as I am used to but the mix out to the main is what matters. For my purposes, it was pretty damn good.

It helped all of us sing better because we could hear ourselves better. Definitely. I was impressed by the amount of improvement. We play 90's so it was loud before we tried the IEMs and we always had difficulty hearing ourselves thru the monitors and avoiding feedback.

It did not make the drummer play any quieter. It did allow us to hear each other a lot better in a very sound-bouncy room. No feedback issues and we expect feedback to be eliminated now that we won't have any stage monitors during performance.

The rechargeable Li-Ion batteries one member had lasted as long as the alkalines and cost $8 for a pair compared to $100 for the Shure battery. We ran them for 3+ hours.

These are the batteries:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BK-3HCCA4BA-Eneloop-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable/dp/B00JHKSL28/ref=pd_sim_23_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=510m7pTciWL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR127,160_&refRID=06MXW2JGANYQH8DSG44J

I want to thank TB member Scottkarch for the EXCELLENT guidance he provided my band to get us started on the right track.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    steelin4u, s0c9, stettoman and 2 others like this.
  2. This is the same system we'll be using. I purchased some Energizer 2300 MaH NiMh rechargeable AAs for my body pack, our previous experience with alkaline batteries were disappointing.

So the upgrade buds are worth the investment? Our guitarist paid an extra $100 for Westone dual-drivers, and we can't really tell the difference.

LowNloud1 likes this.
  3. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I occasionally sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    I have not tried the 215's so I can't really tell you that it made a difference. I know the 215's generally get better reviews than the 315's but those reviews could be from guitar people and vocalists and I wanted to make sure I got all the low-end I could for me. I'll have a chance to test that theory in the future when I get some replacement ear sleeves. I'll swap with my guitar guy who has the 215 and compare. I'll post my opinion here next week.

I do think that the right ear sleeve that makes the best seal in your ear canal is more important.

stettoman likes this.
  4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    As someone who has been thru the gamut over the last 5 yrs from cheap Sony buds and wired, to various wireless devices (pSM200 being one) and other single-driver buds like Westone UM1's, and so on...
    BUY the BEST multi-driver buds you can afford... it's your hearing and triple-drivers (or better) will split the frequencies, giving you better soundstage, separation of instruments, clarity and definition. They will also allow you to adjust the inbound frequencies to emphasize ranges you need need to hear. That's tough with single-driver buds.

The common factor with most folks I know (and have read about) going to IEM's and NOT liking them is that they use single-driver buds. Think of it like high-end stereo systems or a PA... The quality of the gear producing the audio means nothing if your speakers are junk!

EDIT: FWIW - my current IEM rig is 1964 Qi's (going to A8's when I get the $$) and Senn G3 IEM wireless.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    Geri O, stettoman, WayneP and 2 others like this.
  5. I have a pair of 215's for backup and my lead guitar player uses them. They are OK and I could make it through the night if I had to. I have a pair of original Westone UM2's and they have been doing very well for me. I use a Senn. G3 system. My lead player uses a $200 Galaxy system I bought to try and my drummer is using a cheap $60 system I found on Ebay also to try. Lead singer has the Carvin 9000 system, whatever it is. All systems get the job done for them but they all crave my G3 :) hey it's only a grand :)

LowNloud1 and s0c9 like this.
  6. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    You can find them for much less than that... I got a brand new unit for $720 shipped!
    Sorry if that's bad news.. :crying::sour:

7. Jeez, I had to sneak behind her back to shell out the 8 bones for the PSM 300, and that cat's out of the bag by next Monday. I can only buy gear with band income, but this seemed worth risking a limb for...I'd love to see THIS tech get cheaper!

LowNloud1 likes this.
  8. Gonna second this and also suggest going custom molded. Especially if you find universal, one size fits all earbuds (even those with different size nubs/cushions) uncomfortable or ill fitting. Setting aside the superior sound quality, the fit and comfort of custom molded IEMs was a huge eye opener for me. I have narrow ear canals and have never been able to wear any earbuds for extended periods of time without discomfort. With my 64Ears Qis I can and have worn them for 6+ hours without any discomfort or fatigue at all. Based on my previous experience with countless standard earbuds going back 30+ years I would have thought that completely impossible.

Yes, they are expensive and it was a tough sell for me (and my wife) not knowing if they would live up to the hype but they did and are worth every penny.

LowNloud1 and s0c9 like this.

9. I know I have seen them at better prices too but I bought mine maybe 4 years ago. Would I do it again, yes. I started out going direct off a mini mixer then I moved on to a Shure PSM200.

s0c9 likes this.
  10. I don't disagree with you at all. I am lucky and stock forms work for my ears.