1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1st timer for pickup info

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thebassguy, Feb 28, 2008.

1. thebassguy

thebassguy

Mar 21, 2004
    Youngstown
    I'm looking for some good pickups to buy for my first attempt at re-wiring a bass. I know I should get some crappy ones to start off with in case I destroy them, but I want to know what ones I should aim at for when I really want to put the bass together. Any suggestions on what pickups have what tones would be helpful. I'm looking to work with passive. Thanks!

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hi Thebassguy,
    Don't waste your money on crappy pickups; buy the pickups you want, and install them carefully, following all the right steps. There are a lot of helpful people and tutorials here on Talkbass, so you won't "destroy" the pickup as long as you listen to our advice.

In order for us to give you recommendations, we need to know more about your bass. I assume you already have the bass, yes? Does it have pickups in it now? If so, what's wrong with them? If not, what shape are the pickup routes (holes where the pickups go), because I would recommend a pickup/pickups that fits your bass without any woodworking. There are basic pickup shapes like P, J, MM, etc... if you don't know what you have, just post a photo and/or the model of the bass, and someone will chime in with the details! Also, it helps to know what sound you're shooting for, what kind of music you play, etc. The best thing to do is go to the music store and play lots of different basses, taking note of which sounds you like and don't like.

M

3. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    +1

4. thebassguy

thebassguy

Mar 21, 2004
    Youngstown
    The bass is a generic Samick from before they even gave their basses model #s. It was my first bass, and the problems I had with it were all electronic and pretty much it sounded like crap. It had a basic 2-pickup design (I know it's one of the names you gave but I don't know which) where they are set next to each other but offset to stretch the width of the strings, like on a Fender P-bass. I am planning on fixing the bass up and giving it to my niece for her tenth birthday, but I'm shooting for a smoother tone.

Peace

5. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Good morning Mr Bass Guy,
    If I understand you correctly, your bass has one pickup that is split into two pieces, one half for the E and A strings and the other half for the D and G strings. Am I right? If so, that is called a P pickup. Your bass probably also has two knobs, one for volume and one for tone.

I would recommend you buy two things. The first obviously is a P pickup. Every pickup company makes one; if you read the "J pickups discussion and comparisons" sticky at the top of this forum, you'll get an idea for which companies have a good reputation. If they make a good J pickup, they probably make a good P pickup too. You might consider picking up something 2nd hand from a fellow TB'er in the for sale section.

The other recommendation I would make is to replace the electronics--all of the pots and wiring--especially if the knobs crackle when you turn them or the sound intermittently cuts in and out. The easiest way to do this is to buy a "P bass wiring harness" that is already soldered together. Two companies that get mentioned a lot here are Bayou Cables and HAS Sound for that sort of thing. Everything comes connected, and you just need to solder the pickup and the bridge ground. You could also buy the pots and wiring separately and solder it yourself, if you want a fun DIY project.

Before spending any money, though, you should certainly open the bass up and take a look around. The problem may be as simple as a broken connection somewhere or something got wired wrong at the factory.

That is an awesome birthday present. Good luck!
    M

6. thebassguy

thebassguy

Mar 21, 2004
    Youngstown
    Yeah, you got it. Thanks for all the info! You sure are helping me out.

I'll post back once I read up on that thread.

Peace!

7. bassn00b11

bassn00b11

Feb 7, 2008
    Don't worry about damaging the pickups, most are pretty darn near indestructable. The worst thing that can probably happen is you have to take them to a professional to get resoldered and installed, which should cost you the same as getting them installed. You really have nothing to lose unless you decide to melt them down in 1000 degree fire or something insane like that.

8. yes you would want to have good strings too!