Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1st UB - Settle for cheapo or save the $$?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Slavoie, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Slavoie

Slavoie

Feb 21, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I am an EB player extremely interested in diving headfirst into the world of UB. I work for a non-profit organization which, needless to say, puts a serious limit to my spending. My question is this. Do I shell out $600 + for a sub-sub par laminate with rosewood fittings and begin my lifelong journey, or do I hold off for 2 + years and put the $ towards a great sounding, fully carved instrument?

I have always subsribed to the notion that you might as well spend the extra money to buy what you really want, but unfortunately, my financial situation makes this impossible.

What I am struggling with is the time issue. I almost think settling for the "****-kicker" would be the best bet as it would alow me to be that much farther ahead in learning the instrument when I can finally afford a "real" one.

What are your thoughts?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Save the $$.

Leap when you're ready.

3. vanderbrook

vanderbrook Some days, I miss frets... Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Perhaps you should consider renting. You might be able to rent a well set-up laminated instrument while continuing to save for the BOYD (bass of your dreams). You might avoid a real source of discouragement by avoiding the low-low end basses. Personally, I wouldn't recommend starting on an instrument that would sell for less than $1800 or $2000 if there's any way to avoid it.

My $0.02. Is there anybody in NH that can comment on the availability of decent basses for rent?

Good luck.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Perhaps there is a little somewhere in between. I have seen nicely maintained plywood Kays, Kings and Engelhardts in the $700-1000 range. (ALthough the popularity is starting to go to Kay's head)

This isn't that far above what you are wanting to pay, and they are very playable, decent sounding basses.

5. Slavoie

Slavoie

Feb 21, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Thanks everyone for the great input. I guess I still have it in my head that the experience alone is priceless. Anyway, I still have to mull this one over so please keep the replies coming...

6. Get a bass now. You may be dead next year.

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I do see more Engelhardt basses for that price than anything. Although I have seen at least four or five Kays in the last six months in the for less than $1,200 asking price. (I usually assume you can pay less than they are asking) These were from individuals. Three of them I saw at various BG festivals. They were all played, but in good shape.

I have also seen a few Kings in the last year in that price. Although they seem to be more beat up for some reason. BG players seem to like Kings.

Old plywood basses are pretty popular in the BG and folk circles and the prices on them do seem to be rising. But a patient man in my neck of the woods won't have to pay $1500 unless he buys a used one from a dealer.

Chas

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Buy 'e, box 'em, and send 'em here. I'll sell them for you and split the profit.

9. There goes that profit margin.;)

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If they lode is the true Mother, then we can afford case rental and do them one at a time...

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I don't need to send them to NYC. I can buy them and sell them on ebay and make money. I just figure that someone who wants one and will play it should have it. And, I certainly don't want to deal with shipping those things.

I do buy and sell a few EBGs here and there. I can do the setup and repair work myself and make a little money. I don't know enough about DBs yet to see the amount of work (which means $$ since I can't work on them) that needs to be done. I need to hang out in the world of DB for a while before I think about buying and selling the big boys.

Chas

12. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    I've seen a few old kay basses in the 900-1100 negotiable range around here. These are probably 30 to 40 years old. Is that a good price? These are coming from bluegrass guys.