1st Week With My Benavente Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jobu3, Feb 15, 2005.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Well I've had a week to spend with my newest baby. I'm currently running it through an A.M.P. BH-420 into a Schroeder 1210 and a Raven Labs PHA-1. I haven't been able to play it with any other instruments yet, but that will change this weekend. Before we even get into tone, everyone who has seen it in person here at home has really been taken aback by its stunning good looks. Pictures truly do not do this instrument any justice whatsoever. Aesthetics aside, it plays and sounds even better than it looks. If you're not into buckeye burl or singlecuts than it sounds A LOT better than it looks. :p

The new Benavente preamp and pick-ups are very warm and just sound plain old big with more than enough detail. Very flexible and there really isn't a bad sound in this bass no matter what you do with the elctronics and everything sounds so natural. Smooth and deep all the way with an even response across all five strings. The B-string is fantastic... Right up there with Roscoe, IMO.

The RNC piezo bridge sounds very good. It's not nearly as harsh as the lesser piezo set-ups I've encountered. With the EQ by-passed, it sounds very open and clear. The magnetic p-ups sound great in passive too. These Bennie preamps really do not color the sound of the bass just as promised. The tone really is that clean... I'd highly recommend them to anyone looking for something different to drop into an existing bass particularly if you're looking for a truly hi-fi set-up that will let your fingers and woods do all the talking.

I initially wanted SIT flats for more of an upright/vintage thump (particularly with the piezo) on the bass but went with SIT silencers at the recommendation of both Brian and Chris. I'm glad I did. I've played many fretless basses over the years and honestly, it is more expressive than any other fretless I've encountered in recent memory. It is very sensitive to your R/LH techniques but this is one bass that really practically plays itself. The fretless chops (pathetic as they are) came back well within the first few hours. Even my guitar-playing brother (he's not very bass-savvy) sounded good on it... We all call him thunderthumb for a reason. :scowl:

It doesn't quite get into Jaco territory tonally (or at least I don't). It sounds much thicker with some air added to each note... It breathes more. It has all the mwah and swell you'd want from a fretless and gets very thumpy and upright'ish despite the rounds with a quick tighten-up of the LH's touch.

Adding some piezo to the mag p-ups adds a really sweet depth and a rather textured top end. It really brought out a completely different side to the bass that the magnetics alone couldn't do.

I will post more after it sees whatever kind of mix I can srounge up this weekend (probably just guitar accompaniment) and get some more personal pix up as soon as I get some AA batteries for the digicam. Until then my hat is off to both Chris and Brian for making my first custom an easy and surprisingly unintimidating experience. It was well-worth the wait and any inhibitions I may have had went out the window as soon as I opened Incase #3 and picked it up for the first time... Thanks for everything guys!

:hyper: :bassist:
  2. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Let me be the first to say: muy bueno. Really pretty.
  3. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I've said it once and I'll say it again.....

That is one good looking piece of lumber!!!!!

Glad it's working out for you!!
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nice, Joe. Congrats.
  5. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    THAT is a beautiful bass... Wish it was on my hand.. :bawl:

Great buy! :D
  6. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    that looks fantastic. can we get any clips? id love to hear what it sounds like.
  7. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds great, Joe! I know that you were about ready to jump outta' your shoes waiting for that one to be finished. :hyper: :D
  8. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I have no way of recording or getting it onto the net at the moment... Trust me. You don't want to hear me anyway! :p :help:

I will let everyone know when the NAMM vids/MP3's get up on the site.

It was a very looong wait, Jay... At least it sure seemed that way!!! (You know you're partially to blame for all this.) :ninja:

I'm waiting for the usual suspects to start jumping all over the thread because they hate all SC's and exotic tops... :rollno: Thanks for the kind words guys... I'm thrilled with it!
  9. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Boy...if I had a nickel for every time I've heard that !!! :rolleyes: Seriously, I'm really happy for ya', Joe. I think the bass turned out great...it looks beautiful and from what you've said, it plays and sounds killer too. :hyper: :bassist:
  10. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    You'd be owning all of these basses instead of selling them... :smug:
  11. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    A very striking bass. I like the unlined fingerboard- compliments the darker parts of the top. Congrats nd enjoy it!
  12. Congrats, Joe, it's a real beauty. I am getting a Benavente chambered 6 string unlined fretless and might have to join the custom wait support group for a while, but I am sure it's worth it. :D
  13. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Beautiful.....very nice indeed. Congratulations!

14. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Makes me want to play fretless. That's one pretty bass Joe, enjoy it!!!!!
  15. pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    That bass is gorgeous...Congratulations!!!

Definitely would love to hear the sound that comes out of that.

16. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Man, that is very sweet! :cool:
  17. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    wow... beaaautiful!

God I wish I could get a Benavente...
  18. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    any chance that you can upload some clips so we can droll over your bass , sound, most of all, your playin? ;)