1U or Lightweight Power Amps...other than Stewart

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sojourner, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Sojourner

Sojourner Supporting Member

I just got an Ampeg 8x10 cab and now need a lot more power to feed it. The cab being the beast that it is already, I'd like to keep my new rack setup as lightweight as possible, so I'm looking for suggestions. I can't afford a new Stewart World amp and the used stuff is rather hard to come by on a regular basis. So what other suggestions are there for power amps that are either 1U or fairly lightweight (under 30 lbs I'm hoping)?? I'll likely be looking at used stuff unless there's some killer deal out there as it's not likely that I can spend more than $400-500 or so for it and, as always, the less the better. I need something capable of at least 1000 watts at 4 ohms bridged or otherwise. I dig the Mesa/Ampeg sound with that little bit of grit and overdrive warmth. That doesn't make a different in power amps really, but I say that more because other suggestions are greatly appreciated as well. The budget can increast a bit if you guys or anyone else would buy some of the stuff I'm trying to clear out in the Classified forum. Thanks in advance.
  2. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    Well I'm sure you'll still be on the lookout for used Stewarts, since they seem to have lost their value by about $50-$100 on the used market recently. That takes them from being a solid deal, to a steal in my book. There are guys who've scored Stewart 2.1's for less than $400 on ebay.

I use a Peavey CS800S (not to be confused with the CS800). It's now discontinued but it a 2U poweramp that weighs 23 lbs. 1200 watts bridged into 4 ohms, 400 per side stereo. It's pretty much silent with its fan, and has a DDT limter circuit that you can switch on. I like it. Should be around $250-300ish used.

Before that I used a Peavey DPC 750. That was 1u but only bridged into 8 ohms at 700 watts. I had that for $200.

Now i'll make way for the QSC crew to do clean up. hehe
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Yep. The PLX 1602 is running ~$400 used these days. 2 rack spaces, 21 pounds.