1U Power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ppanousos, Jul 7, 2005.

1. ppanousos

Apr 10, 2005
    Are they thin sounded comparing to more traditional(and heavyweight) 2U power amps?Thanks guys! :bassist:
  2. The single rack unit Fender power amp I've got sounds fine. This is a traditional linear power supply model, though, not a switching power supply, so it weighs a freakin' ton and it extends very deep into the rack.
  3. I use a Soundtech PS802, and I think it has plenty of "beef"
    in the sound.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Peavey and Stewart both offer 1U power amps.
  5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    My only problem with them is most don't provide fan cooling so even if you have a 1U power amp and 1U Pre amp you still have to have an extra space in the rack to allow for cooling. Otherwise over heating can be a big issue.
  6. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Actually, if you are willing to pay, the Peavey DOES have a fan and lots of power.
  7. The PS802 has dual cooling fans.
  8. 73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    I have a Peavey DPC 1400x,and couldn't live without it. 1 rack space,about 14lbs,and it has a cooling fan.My entire rack weighs less that my old power amp by itself.They are a bit pricey,but there are usually a few floating around.I got mine from a fellow TB'er for 700.00 in mint condition.
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Can be an issue but is not automatically an issue. I use a Stew 1.2 in a 4 space rack with no space above it and have played outdoor gigs for 4 hours with no issues whatsoever. As long as you have it so that air can reach the back and the heatsinks, it's not necessary to have an empty space above it although it certainly won't hurt.
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Digisoft! Man I want one of these............
  11. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I have a single space older model Carver - the PM300. It's 300 watts into 8 ohms bridged and I run it with an Epifani 110UL for "unplugged" coffee house gigs. The Carver has terrific tone and a very detailed sound. The other night at a full band rehearsal I used this rig, and then switched to my WT400 which is roughly the same power output into the 8 ohm Epi. The Eden sounds way less HiFi than the Carver but the depth and punch of the WT400 was a big step up. Some of that can certainly be from the difference in preamps (using an Ag 659 with the Carver), but I tend to think it's mostly that the Carver, as an example of an early switching power supply amp, is a bit lacking in beef.
  12. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Didn't even know Fender made a 1U power amp.
  13. SPA-3000. I've connected it to my computer....