1U poweramp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Toasted, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    So, what's the best 1u poweramp? Since QSC don't make one - I don't know where to look.

2. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  3. greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I've had the Peavey DPC-1400X ever since it came out in early '99. 1400 watts @ 4 ohms bridged, 700 watts @ 2 ohms x 2, just under 15 pounds. I've driven it at both 2 ohms, and 4 ohms bridged sometimes up to clip, for hundreds of 4+ hour gigs. Never had a problem and it sounds great.
  4. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    I know in europe you guys ahve the Powersoft DIGAM amps. They 're a bit pricey but they're 1u and look nice.

I used an older version of the Peavey DPC series a year ago, and really liked it. And then there is alsothe Steward World 1.2 amps as well.
  5. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    A pro sound man I worked with had a small light rig he used for quick portable set ups. He used the Peavey DPC models and he loved them. He never had a problem with them. He made up a rack mounted bass rig using the DPC 1400 and it worked great.
  6. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I like my Stewart world 1.2 amp.....stereo or mono. haven't had ANY problems with mine...
  7. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Pricey, (I think the USD = around 1500) but if these CADS are half what the specs say, sproingggg!!!! Just over 13lbs, 1U, and 1100x2 at 8 OHMS???? Has MY attention!

From the posted link above:

"DPA 4800 digital power amplifier
    2x1100W / 8 ohms, 2x2100W / 4 ohms ,
    2x3500W/2 ohms ,
    PFC (power factor correction) ,
    peak limiter, rms limiter,
    19" - 1U/44mm high - 6 kgs!
    € 1234 (retail price ex.vat)"
  8. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  9. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    even cooler, but I have to say I'm not quite THAT much of a do-it-your-selfer, lol! I'd like one already in a box thank you! ;)
  10. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Interesting. I was thinking about picking one up last week but our friend the TB search engine showed me a few posts about users who have had nothing but problems.

How do you have yours racked? Is there anything directly above/below it?

Does anyone else use a 1.2 who'd like to chime in?
  11. this is way off topic, but msquared, what do the numbers in your sig mean anyway?
  12. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I know that one. Too many years in computers.
    Google: ASCII table
    then look up the hex
  13. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I liked my Stewart 1.2 except it took up three rack spaces. :meh:
  14. :confused:
  15. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'd recommend the Peavey DPC1400x too, but it may be overkill for your needs.
  16. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia

If money was no object, I'd get one of these. A lot of 1RU amps are pretty small on the wattage delivery. Not these things! Massive wattages and lightweight. A friend of mine is running one of the smaller ones on his bass rig and says nothing but good things about it.
  17. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    msquared sig of
    6d 73 71 75 61 72 65 64 40 67 6d 61 69 6c 2e 63 6f 6d

is hex for:
  18. ahh i see now,

and with these amps, was the origional poster looking for a PA power amp or a bass power amp? i thought you were looking for a head for your bass
  19. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Technically a bass head is a preamp and a poweramp in one unit. Some people like to buy them seperately. While it's true that you might find Eden or Warwick making poweramps, the truth is they're not that different to a PA poweramp. You'll often see bass players using a bass preamp with a QSC or Stewart power amp designed primarily for PA.