1x10 + 1x10 vs. 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jim Wheeler, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Any general thoughts on what a pair of 1x10 cabinets - AG, Epi', Berg', EA, etc. would sound like compared to a single 2x10 cabinet ?
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That is going to depend on the cab, but in general, I prefer the sound and flexibility of two 1x10's. From my experience, a 1x10 from the same maker is slightly more articulate and a bit tighter than a 2x10 - due to the lesser volume of the enclosures, would be my guess. The 2x10's (compared to one 1x10) usually have more low end, but oftentimes if you stack the two 1x10's vertically, you can more than compensate. I can't explain the physics of why you get significantly more low end from two cabs stacked vertically, but in my experience, you certainly do.

Of course, my real preference is for mixing up driver types, if possible. For instance, my Epifani T-112 with a T-110UL is much more balanced and articulate than my two T-112's are. I also like the sound of my VL-208 with my VL-110, but then again, two VL-208's are pretty darn good, too. A VL-208 with a VL-210 is another great combination. My old "big rig" was a Mesa Boogie 4x10 with an Eden 212XLT, and the combination of 10's and 12's was really nice.

Another thing to consider with two 1x10's versus a 2x10 is that if you are going to have tweeters in both cabs, you obviously have one more in the double 1x10 arrangement. But, one advantage to this setup which might not be immediately apparent is that whereas a single tweeter may generate some hiss when cranked all the way, you may be able to get a similar amount of high end with less hiss by having two tweeters running at 60% or so. Of course, this will vary by manufacturer. An advantage of a 2x10, though, is that if you were to add a second, two 2x10's can handle gigs that two 1x10's just wouldn't move enough air for. Other obvious advantages are that one 2x10 is one less cab to carry, and it should be cheaper to make/purchase than two 1x10's.

Hope this helps, Tom.
  3. ehm yeah all what Tom said and that when you have two 1x10's you can take just 1 for practise, jam, .. when you don't need much power.
    (I know, it has nuthing to do with the sound of it)
  4. A pair of 1x10 will be more expensive, as there is more material and more work involved.

That aside, it is possible to have a 1x10 more correctly tuned and sized. This is less a problem than with larger drivers. The typical 2x15 is nearly always too small for the requirements of the drivers.

A 2x10 can be configured for different impedance values by wiring the two drivers as series or parallel. A pair of 1x10 are easier to move, especially in a small vehicle. The two tweeters are something to consider, also.