Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1x10 cabinets vs. small 1x12s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by appler, Mar 9, 2006.

1. appler

appler Guest

I'm looking for a small, portable cabinet for theatre work, taking the train, and some upright bass gigs. However, I'm not sure if I'd be better off getting a 1x10 or 1x12 cabinet. There's a few contenders: Eden CX110, Epifani UL110 (used), GK MBX112, Ampeg Portabass 112 (used) and whatever else fits into this category. I need something light enough to carry around and take on the train but what confuses me is the fact that the Gallien-Krueger 1x12 weighs about half of the Eden 1x10 and the Ampeg weighs about the same as the Epifani. Am I better off going with a 10 or a 12 with these specification? Will a good 1x10 be loud enough? My amp is an Acoustic Image Clarus. Thanks for any help!

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    How loud do you need to be? If a 1x10 is really enough, and you are looking for a super light weight solution, my first thought is the Epifani UL-110, but at only a little heavier, that Eden CXC-110 seemed to pump out more volume at my GTG. I was really impressed. Another great lightweight solution (especially for upright) are the Low Down Sound 3-way neo 1x8's.

Tom.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    all 1x10 cabs by themselves make my basses sound like thick guitar strings.

IMHO, an Acme B1 is the only 1x10 that sounded big and full for me.

if you're doing mostly upright gigs, why not a Clarus combo? small, light, and plenty for upright stuff.

just pleez, be someone else in the city who ISNT using those GK M150 combos. IMHO, i think they're awful.

4. Totally agree. I now use the B1 with my AI head, and IMHO, it sounds 10x better than the AI Cab I was using before (Coda EX Series II). Acme's are definitely the way to go for a solid E string fundamental with the upright. I actually turn myself down all the time with it, because it's real deepness makes it useless to be loud. It's loud where it has to be, and you don't need to compensate with EQ, volume and burpy low midrange.

5. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    The GK is an aluminum cabinet, that's why it's so light.

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Bergantino HT112

7. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Aguilar GS112. very light and portable, but a little bulky (it's deep). sounds great though.

8. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I'll throw in a vote for the Euphonic Audio Wizzy cab. It's light, very loud, and has great tone for both slab and upright, imho.

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The Wizzy and HT112 are both excellent options. The HT112 is a bit heavy relative to the others, but it sounds great. The Wizzy is actually pretty light for using a ceramic driver.

10. I'm using an EA iamp600 thru either two VL110s or one Vl110 - it sounds good thru just ne cab, but add alittle more low end to it

11. appler

appler Guest

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm liking the Eden CX110 at the moment... anyone have firsthand experience with some form of amp plugged into one of those? I'm afraid the Epifani might be a bit above my budget but it certainly looks nice. The Acme, Aguilar, and Bergantino are too heavy; I'd like something in the 25lb range. By the way, jokerjny, I totally agree about the GK Microbass. I heard acoustic and electric players ranting and raving about these things so I walked into Sam Ash a couple weeks ago ready to buy one. Plugged in my slab and was severely unimpressed. I had to crank the thing all the way before I could even hear myself over the guitar players testing out their amps. I ended up buying a Clarus amp but I'm still small-cab-less. Does anyone know what the Wizzy and Eden CX110 usually go for?

12. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Disagree entirely. I have a UL110 and a UL112. For low volume trio gigs, it is a better electric bass cab than the UL112. The UL112 sounds a little loose (and overpowering) at low volumes. The UL110 on the other hand, sounds terrific at low volumes. If you need to really pump out some lows, I would definitely take the UL112 (or any other bigger cab) but the UL110 does admirably at low volumes (turn up the bass on your amp a little) and weighs 22lbs. It is also a very good upright cab with the Clarus.

The Acme B1 is a fine suggestion, but it weighs about 35lbs (I believe). Not a heavyweight, of course! I don't think you could go wrong with the B1 and the Clarus.

The Bergie HT112 is a terrific upright cab, the best...but it isn't a featherweight (36lbs) either. I don't think it's a terrific electric bass cab (with the Clarus), but it will do fine. It's a bit honky in the mids with the Clarus, so watch it.

13. I second the nomination of the Acme B1 for a great 10 inch cabinet. I actually have 4 of them. I use whatever number is appropriate for the gig and don't have to break my back with a 4 by 10. By the way they are a very high fidelity PA cabinet. Per Andy's website, they are 31 lbs.

With respect to the GK 150 ; I never liked them. The trade off is weight vs sound. I sold mind and got an Acoustic Image combo. These probably aren't right for loud EB but the new ones are only 20 lbs!!! and they will sound a lot better than the GK with both URB and EB in my opinion.

14. appler

appler Guest

Man, I'd love an Acme B1, but I think it would be too heavy to carry around when I'm walking/taking the train to gigs. And it's probably a good bit quieter than the alternatives because it seems to be inefficient. What do you NYC guys bring to work?

15. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Sounds like a Flite sound cab would be perfect for you. With a neo driver, they come in under 20lbs. www.flitesound.com

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    no matter where i go, (and yes, i take NJT all the freakin' time. :()

i have this:

[​IMG]

but the acme hasnt been that bad at all. easily carries thru the bus aisle, and is fine for whatever flight of stairs i'm navigating.

still, i understand that you're an upright guy, and pushing the washtub, while pulling a cart doesnt sound like fun.

if you have the money, i think the compact, small Epifani UL110 is your best bet. like tom mentioned, a little bass boost goes a long way. it wont be as natural or as fat sounding as the acme, but it'll definitely do the job better than most other 1x10's.

btw, another thought would be a Schroeder Mini "Light". its a 12", which'll be more bass like, and is only 22 lbs. w/ tweeter! the only flipside is that the Schroe's are known to be the most "voiced" basscentric sounding cabs out there. a bit aggressive and inyourface. a little EQ could tame that, but something to keep in mind. still, for its size and weight class, that's pretty amazing if you ask me.

17. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I would stear clear of the Bergie if you are doing any EB work at all. I love mine, but the Clarus and a single EX112 was all mids and no lows. For low volume, I like the Portabass 110 cab with the Clarus for either EB or DB. My personal opinion is that the Clarus sounds much fuller with 4 ohm cab unless you are moving up to at least a 210. I always wanted to try a Wizzy. I hope my ex-amp is doing good for you Appler.

18. Another +1 on the AcmeB110 and the Clarus... it's a great match, especially for DB. The other cool thing is that, as far as I know, the Acme110 is the only 110 that can be ordered in 4ohm version... which is key for that Clarus IMO.

If you really want to go small, and are a fan of a more mid-range tone, those little GK Micro Combo's (MB150's)can't be beat IMO. They are surely not 'hi fi' or full range, but once you put them in a mix, they have good projection and punch, and they have a very decent DI out.... you can put one of those in the optional bag and sling it over your shoulder... very nice, especially for DB. The lower priced model without the semi parametric mids is just as good as the higher priced on IMO.... amazing volume for the size and weight, and voiced very nicely for DB... a little honky sounding for EB, but again, from the type of gigs you describe, it might be perfect... it will give you a very articulate 'hear every note' sound... but no big bottom or airy treble. It will also give you more volume in the mix than the Acme110 and Clarus. It's absolutely essential to couple that little combo to the floor also.

Edit: Just read your post concerning your not so positive experience with the GKMicro combo when you tried it. You might want to give it one more shot... I agree, in a music store with guitar wanking, it probably wasn't that impressive, but I can't tell you how many times I've heard DB players or EB players in a 'pit orchestra' using one of these amps and the bass sound was just perfect... that old school 'mid punch' that doesn't get in the way of a large ensemble. Again, just a thought given your situation.

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Really? I find the HT112 (I don't normally use my EX112 by itself) to be a great electric bass cab. It's low end is not as big as, say and Epifani T-112 (the pre-NYC line), but for its size, I think it has very good, accurate lows.

But at any rate, if we are talking the really, really lightweight stuff, it might be a tad heavy.

Tom.

20. I also find the small Berg cabs and the AI amps a very bad match for EB also (probably nice for DB)... both work great with other combinations, but AI and Berg... not a good thing... ugly mids IMO... especially with a Clarus running at 8ohms.