1x10" Combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by count_funkula, Jan 14, 2004.

1. What is the general opinion of combos with a single 10" speaker? I'm thinking of getting a small combo for home and to use as a stage monitor at church. I'm interested in the Tech 21 60 watt combo. I love my Sansamp Bass Driver DI. It's what I play through at church so it would be cool to get that same tone at home with my combo. Are these little amps loud enough to use as a monitor in a church setting. I sit right next to the drummer so I want to make sure it doesn't get buried. I'm the only one who will need to hear it.

2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I had an Ashdown ABM c110-300 and it was MORE than loud enough as a monitor in my old church (1200 seats, full band with horns but electronic drums). I usually kept the master on 4 and the gain on 7. GREAT tone also! It is a heavy little sucker but has two handles to ease the strain.

Dan K.
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I have a friend here that loves his tech21 10" wedge combo, but I'm waiting to here the 12" I generally love tech21 and 12" speakers. I had a SWR wm-10 combo with an extention 10, it was loud, but you'd never get the tone flexibility of the tech21.

Best thing to do is "try before you buy". I found a store that can trust me and lets me 'borrow' equipment when I'm serious to buy.

also talk to FISHBULB here on TB he had the tech21 10" or search "landmark 60"
  4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i would have to say an SWR working mans 10. i think this is 120 watts (?), but either way, it is really loud, and really good quality also. i'm not exactly sure on the price, but you could get it used for a decent amount.
  5. I can recommend the Hartke Kickback 10. Aluminium cone and 120 Watts, also has an onboard balanced out. I notice that Hartke have recently brought out a new range of kickback designs, so it may be that the original designs are about to be phased out.

The earlier post about the Workingman 10 may need to be checked out. It used to be rated at 80 watts on its own, and 100+ with a second cab connected.
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    iAMP 350 Combo, if you can find one used. Or an iAMP 200 Combo, if you don't mind a 12".

You may also want to consider the Eden Time Traveler 10 Combo.

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I agree with Tom. The iAmp 350 combo is a great amp if you can find one and are willing to spend the cash for one.

You get an amp with a speaker that handles 350W, supposedly goes down to 45Hz (in practical use it's more like 50-55Hz), has a nice preamp, a real clean DI, and cool features like a speaker defeat switch, effects loop, and tuner out.

I have a similar setup, a iAmp350 with a CXL110 cab, that is basically the combo in seperate units. I like the setup alot. It's lightweight and very portable. The sound is clean and flat, and the tweeter is one of the smoothest I have heard. The speaker is efficient and is pretty loud. It's not gonna get you the ultra low dub bass sound (It's only a 10" speaker), but there's enough bass. This setup can fill a small room and has a surprisingly good sound for a setup this small. The downside is that it is relatively expensive ($700-$800 used).