1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1x10 or smaller?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'm kind of keeping an eye out for used cabinets smaller than a 1x12. I want less than 30 pounds or so, and it doesn't need to be loud (I have a 2x12 for that), but I want the sound to be clear and balanced. I have recently discovered upper mids in my 2x12 / 2x6, and wow, they are great! Really huge high extension isn't a big deal for me, and super low stuff isn't that important either - I'm a 4 banger these days. If it could handle a B, that'd be great, but not a necessity. It must be 8 ohms, and as this isn't really a main rig sort of thing, I'd like to keep costs sub $300.

So far, my eyes are looking at (remember, these will all be used):
    LDS 1x8 or 1x10 (Tom, I may buy yours yet)
    Eden CX-110
    EA and Epifani are always nice to look at, but my budget couldn't do it.
    The old SWR WM1x10 is also in my price range, but not sure if it would be a good fit.

I have two GK amps that I would most likely use with it - either as an extension for my old 200MB combo, or as a solitary cab for my 400RB-III.

Does anyone have an idea that isn't covered on my list?

2. Ashdown made/makes a 1x10, I believe. I think it would fit most of youre requirements.

I think that I would go with the Eden or LDS if you can afford them, because I think it was from their lower-end MAG series.

Dave

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    If you're talking about their "Mini" 1x10, I follow you. It was huge anyway - that defeats the purpose of a small cabinet.

4. Yeah, thats the one Im talking about. I havent had any experience with it, just throwing it out there. The way I look at it, if Tom has it (the LDS) its gotta be pretty good. Tom knows his stuff, and not only that, Ive heard lots of good about LDS cabinets around here.

Dave

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    My 2x12 is LDS, and I love it.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The only thing smaller than a 1x10 is a 0x10 ;)

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    After a little more research, I've come across two more in my price range (even new!):

Yamaha 1x10 (BBT?)
    SWR WorkingPro 1x10 (I assume it's no different than the old WM)

Any comments?

8. 1x8's can be found.

9. Acme B-1, perhaps. For my tastes it would certainly beat the pants off a Yamaha or an SWR WM, but mileage varies. It's a little past your limit at its new price, but you might be able to score a used one.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Yeah, but 0x10's sound better than 0x8's. ;)

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    If any other 1x10" sounds as clear, fat and balanced as an Acme Low-B1, I'll eat my hat. Of course, it does like power and it won't go that loud, but it actually combines real thick yet tight bottom, and warm yet clear mids and highs.

Alex