Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1x12, 2x12, or 2x10 cab to pair with my Sunn 300T and 215?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I've been considering buying an extra cab to pair with my 300T and 215, but I'm not sure which route I want to take.

I *REALLY* liked the sound that I got from my 1x12 Fender BXR-60. It wasn't necessarily the tone, just the output of the speaker. It had that midrange punch but also the low end rumble with nice, clear highs. What I'm afraid of by adding 1 or 2 12's to my 2x15's would be that I would have ENTIRELY too much lows and it would end up being muddy.

What does everybody think? Would I be better off going the 2x10 route or the 1 or 2x12 route? Any experiences along these lines??

2. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    Set the entire rig up in your local music store and try each of the cabs you listed with your bass, amp, and 2x15 cab. Pick the one you like the most.

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Thats a minor detail....

I don't have a local music store. The nearest store to me (home--where my rig is--not Baylor) is about 2 hours. I'm going to be playing through some of the different cabs when I go on my expedition in a couple of weeks, but it'd be a hassle to take my entire rig.

4. How about the new Fender 210 Pro? That would probably go very well with the 215.

5. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    How about another 2x15? of the choices you listed, i'd say the 2x12, but i think a 4x10 would be a good complement. Depends if you play smooth or overdrive that 300t until it's all dirty and gritty :D

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Most 410's are out of my price range, plus I'm also looking for portability (i.e. playing SMALL venues with the cab other than the 2x15).

I usually play smooth, but every once in a while I'll kick the Earthquake Ma-chine into overdrive :bassist: :D

7. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I guess i misunderstood the original question--i thought you meant to play along w/ your 2x15 cab when you said pair. In that case, maybe a 1x15 would keep a similar feel w/ more portability. After that, I'd say a 2x10 is industry standard. I have no experience w/ 12" speakers for bass. I've gas'd for a 300t/2x15 ever since i played that setup in a music store--tryed 6 different basses, 5 sounded great--then i realized it's the amp, not the basses!

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Well, I *DID* say pair, and I *DO* intend to pair the cabs that I actually get. For large gigs I would use the 300T, the 2x15, and the 2x12/2x10 (whichever I get). However, for smaller gigs I would use JUST the 2x12 or 2x10 so that I wouldn't have to haul the massive 2x15 everywhere I went:)

BTW--yes, the setup is awesome :D With just a little bit of tweaking, I think the entire rig sounds absolutely incredible, and thats with my Fender MIM Jazz 5 going through it. I couldn't imagine what it would sound like with a high-end, boutique bass :eek:

9. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I have an Eden D215XLT that I pair with my MM HD-212 and I find if amazing. I find myself taking the 215 with me if I need just a stand alone because it only weighs 2 lbs more then the 212, most 212's don't weigh 98lbs either. IME I've had better luck with a 212 as a stand alone over a 210, seems to be able to hold it's own better. Keep in mind though, you can generalize a size of speaker to death and always find ones that defiy the stereo type, just in my experience I choose 12's over 10's as a stand alone without my 215. Also what kind of mix does your band have (how many members, and what other instraments)?

peace
    -Ben

10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    At this point in time I'm not in a band, but being on a college campus I know that finding one won't be too hard if I want. I definitely plan on either starting a band or being in one within the next 2 years though.

I personally like the sound of 12's better than 10's too if quantities are limited. 8x10's of course sounds awesome, but one of my reasons for buying is SMALLER. I think a 2x12 or even a 1x12 would be a perfect fit with my 2x15.

What does everybody else think? I know there has to be more with experience in 12's. Lemme hear what you have to say.