1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1X12 Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jhtjon, May 1, 2010.

1. Jhtjon

Jhtjon

May 1, 2010
    I am thinking about building a TL806 cabinet for home use. I have read many threads stating that the EVM12L is not a great choice for general bass use. I was wondering if there is a modern speaker that will work well in this cab. I will be using a Sunn 200s clone. I play general rock and blues. Thanks

2. tifftunes

tifftunes Guest

After I blew out all my EVMs, I swapped them for Eminence Kappa series drivers (TL806 1x12 and 2x12 cabs). They worked quite well, and lasted for quite a while. But they too were eventually blown...

I currently have Eminence BassLites in all 4 of my TL cabs, and love them! After 5+ years, and considerable abuse, they are still performing admirable. However, the DeltaLite 2512 IIs are supposed to be a better speaker in the TL806 cabinets. I've considered trying them, but haven't needed to so far...

I believe both BassLites and DeltaLite IIs are still available from Eminence for a reasonable price.

3. Jhtjon

Jhtjon

May 1, 2010
    Do you get nice smooth lows or does it fart out?

4. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    The BassLites are pretty awesome.

5. Jhtjon

Jhtjon

May 1, 2010
    Sorry total nubie. Been a guitar player for a while. I was at GC one day saw a CV 60's Pbass in Fiesta Red and couldn't help my self. Down side is now I need an amp, so I started building a Sunn 200s.

Sorry I build all my amps, kinda my thing.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If you must build a cab follow the fEarful model. As well respected as the EV TL design is it, and the EVM, represents the epitome of speaker design circa 1984. Time to move on.

7. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    Jhtjon, you started a thread about what I was thinking the past couple days, cool.
    I also was wondering about an EVM12L as a bass speaker.
    I've used those in Marshall and Mesa open back combos, and it's a tight speaker for guitar.

I tend to agree with Bill though.

8. If you're blowing speakers like that, there's something wrong with your gear. I've not blown that many in 40 years of playing. It's not the speakers...

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It probably is if he's trying to get any deep tones from an EVM. They are, after all, guitar drivers, with guitar response. By 1984 standards they were quite good for bass. But that was then...
    He probably has been trying to get too much out of not enough twelves, but now with the 3012 and 3012LF they can deliver four to eight times the low end output capacity that the EVM could.

10. tifftunes

tifftunes Guest

Exactly what Bill said... I was trying to get too much from the EVs and small TL cabs...

The power "limit" for the 1x12 TL806 cab w/ EVM12L (per EV) was 90-100 watts. That was fine as long as I stayed with my 90 watt Traynor YBA1A Mk II head. But I bought an Eden WT400 in the late 90s, a couple of years after I built these cabs (to lose some weight), and pushed the EVs past their Xmax, and fried 'em... I love EVM12Ls as loud and clean guitar speakers however!!

The Eminence Kappas met the same fate! Sounded good for bass, but not a lot of upper frequency range however... And, the same problem in the small cabs - not enough Xmax for higher power in a small box.

The BassLites, OTOH, have been great for over 6 years! I would imagine the 2512 IIs would be even better.

You'd really need the 6" mid driver to go with the 3012LFs though... Unless all you want is low end and no highs...

11. Jhtjon

Jhtjon

May 1, 2010
    As I am planning on running a Sunn 200S clone (65watts) I think I'll be ok with a stock EVM12L. I'd like to be able to double use the cab for guitar and bass.

12. tifftunes

tifftunes Guest

EV recommended 3" fiberglass in the TL cabs... It will help for bass... May or may not for guitar, though I've seen several "sealed" 4x12 guitar cabs stuffed with it, and they sounded great!

13. Jhtjon

Jhtjon

May 1, 2010
    My 60's marshall cab has insulation in it.