1X12 = Markbass, EBS or Epifini

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mabis2012, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    i need a 1X12 , im looking at the markbass , ebs neo12 and the ul112 epifini cabs, anyone know which sounds better?
    i need something that is light but at the sqme time a bit of bass doesnt hurt;)

2. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Use... style... preferences... A little vague.

Pretty popular topic.

Why not try the search function?

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Good choices, Ive been looking at them as well for my future practice rig, which will consist of a 112. The Epifani Ul112 is what wins for me. The markbass 112, especially the smaller one, is said to break up a bit at louder volumes, and I dont have experience with the EBS, but I have had all good experiences with epifani. Tonewise, the markbass may be best if you want a little more vintage tone, because the EBS and Epifani are pretty modern with an open high end.

4. Go with the Epifani cab. It may cost a bit more than the others but will deliver the goods with style. Plus, you'll dig playing through it. Just my 2 cents. :D

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Also, the Epifani PS112 , weighing in at around 37 pounds, isnt insanely heavy. It definitely is managable, and it will give you a little more bass than the UL112. It also costs less because of the money saved by not using the lightweight italian poplar.

6. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    The EBS and Epi Neos have kind of a 'unique' sound which I don't really like (actually, all of the neo cabs I have tried seem to have it).

For small cabs, there are lots of choices, and with a 1x12 you are only going to save a few pounds with a neo. I do like the traditional EBS single 12's, but they are quite scooped (mid-range cut), and quite a bright, modern top end. Try a traditional 112 cab; having tried lots, and owned a few, my personal favorites are the Bergantinos. The EA's are really good speakers, as well.

With a 4x10 or something, going neo will save you 20+ lbs in weight; with a single 12, you will only save 5-10 lbs, and they are only about 40 lbs anyway, so unless you are taking the subway to gigs, the difference isn't profound - the price may be, however. And they definitely have a different sound which may or may not be your thing.

Good luck;
    Cameron

8. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    This one has my vote.

9. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    i need to playsome of the epi ps stuff. the price on the 1x12s isnt bad at all.

10. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    well i play both electric and double bass and play in the stlyes of jazz, fusion and funky /latin /afro. i have a car but i like to take the train sometimes and also my old honda is an old boy now and doesnt like cold starts sometimes:meh: so i wouldnt reall need a 4x10, i already experienced living in a city , taking the metro everyday to gigs with an older (heavier) little 450 markbass head and a markbass 2x10 cab and i found that the cab was a nice weight but too big and i never really used the headroom much as i play mainly small bars/resturants etc. so i neet somehting thats smaller, light again and has a nice tone for upright as well, i heard that 12s bring out the mid, also my upright has strange low frequencies coming out that i hate at loud volumes so i like to control the bottom end of my sound especially for this.

11. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    I've got the mini 12 CMD combo by Markbass and I have to say, you would need to throw ALOT of volume at this thing to make it wince. I play a 5 string Sadowsky through it and it never breaks up, even at a pretty good level. The other Markbass cab (121H )? can probably handle more volume and should have a larger bottom end. The prices at Club Bass are good. Guitar Center doesn't carry these yet. I also recommend trying the Bergantino 12's.

12. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    im in england now so i cant get hold of any Bergs:crying:

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    FWIW, here is my 1x12 shootout. I am a big fan of EA, Bergantino, and Glockenklang. The Glockenklang Space Deluxe might be right up your alley, especially if you can't get Bergs. Can you get EA? The new M-line Wizzy is pretty killer, too.

Tom.

14. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    thats great, so what about the ul epifini compared to the berg?

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The UL-112 has more upper midrange than the T-112, and slightly less stout low end. Relative to the HT112, it has a more big, round low end, not as thick/full through the low mids, similarly present, though different upper mids, and a much airy, woody (though slightly detached and "floating") highs. The Berg is more focused, and has a very connected (though still open) high end.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey tom, is your glock german made? Do the US models have the tolex or the carpet, never really clear on that.

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    All my Glocks (1x12, 2x10, 2x10 wedge, 2x12) are the German models, and to be honest, I am a bit in the dark regarding the coating/drivers on the US-models, myself.

Tom.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021