1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1x12 or 2x10? details inside

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by setekh, Jun 7, 2007.

1. setekh

setekh

Jul 4, 2006
    I bought a Hartke HA-2000 head (they put out 200W @ 4ohm and about 140W @ 8ohm, if I'm not mistaken) very cheap, and I need a cab to match it.

I will only be doing some small gigs, and was initially thinking about getting a 1x12 cab. However, I've been suggested some 2x10 which are supposed to be good. Now I'm confused.

Although I'm a bit of a blues man, I also play some rock/indie every now and then, so I guess what I'm saying is I'd like an all-round purpose, not that bad sounding rig.

Bow, I've narrowed my options down to these cabs

- GK 112MBX
    - GK Goldline 210GLX (why doesnt this line appear on the GK website? is it old?)
    - Hartke 2.5XL
    - Peavey TVX 210 EX

I dont think I'll have the chance to try them all out (will probably have to order over the internet), so if you could share your views on one vs the other it'd be great :)

2. zippydog

zippydog

Dec 28, 2006
    Chicago
    Hi!
    A few weeks ago I was in the same place.

I wound up with an Avatar 2x10 (vs. 1x12) for its higher power handling and love it.

If you haven't already, consider Avatar for your short list. Great people and great product. They're so affordable, you could also add a 1x12 down the road and have the flexibility of a stack when you want it.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

3. setekh

setekh

Jul 4, 2006
    I've been told Avatar makes very good cabs (and on the cheap). However, I'm in Portugal (bottom left corner of Europe, for the ones not so good at geography) and its near to impossible to get one of those cabs. What I can get pretty much sums up to the list I've made.

4. zippydog

zippydog

Dec 28, 2006
    Chicago
    Gotcha. Missed the geography part.

Not to veer off topic, but I was in Lisbon and surrounding areas last September. Beautiful place.

5. chrisx666

chrisx666

Oct 15, 2006
    Yorkshire UK
    The Hartke/GK cabs you mention might be a little harsh sounding (aluminium cones) for blues.
    Check out the Warwick 211pro. Good value in my opinion at under €300EU. It's not exactly lightweight but is well built with ply/bracing and 400W handling.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_wca_211_pro.htm

6. setekh

setekh

Jul 4, 2006
    I used to live there...did you get to visit Sintra? I just love hanging round those parts.

I should steer away from aluminium cones then? didnt know that

thanks for the tip...I'll check if the local stores have that cab for me to try out ;)

7. I actually find the 2.5 and 4.5 Hartke cabs to be far less harsh than the regular Hartke cabs. I think it's because they're deeper or something, but they're less pingy sounding to me. Hartke is making cabs with traditional paper cones too, and if you've got a Hartke dealer there, they might be able to get some in for you to audition.

8. setekh

setekh

Jul 4, 2006
    yup...the 2.5XL is the only cab I know for sure they've got in stock :)

so these .5 cabs wouldnt be that bad for blues right?

9. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    The 2.5 is a good little cab. Not at all harsh. I goes plenty deep and the 5" mid speaker makes a differance in the highs. Overall I think its a very good value. It is heavy , 60 lbs.

10. setekh

setekh

Jul 4, 2006
    wow..thats about 28kg...its mighty heavy. even the warwick 211 weights slightly less at 25kg. either way, I guess I'll save the gym fee ;)

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021