1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1x12 or 2x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Aug 27, 2012.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Running a GK 800RB currently with a GK Neo 1x12.

Now I was/am planning on getting another 1x12 to pair with it and run both cabs. I thought that since most people don't do that maybe it would be cool, have a certain sound.

Though I've never heard this before, my buddy and I were playing some new gear and I told him this and he claims that 12's for bass is a bad idea and I should get a 2x10 instead. Something he gas heard about other bass players say 12's don't do it.

Anyone hear a similar thing? Never heard it myself, I hear all good from people with 1/2/4x12 cabs.

He suggested getting the 2x10 for both better response and handling (I guess) and as a better pair/match.

So anyone use any of these combos? Any of this gear? And has some suggestions. I'm leaning hard on the 112.

Thanks in advance!

2. I'd go for the GK Neo112 too.

3. 12" speakers are NOT bad for bass. They just sound different since they are heavier in the midrange than what's typically heard from 10s and 15s. It's a subjective thing and you have to let your ears decide what sounds good.

About mixing speaker sizes, there's a lot of debate. Again, let your ears decide.

4. Rot, rot & more rot.
    I'm far from an expert on this, but afaik, 6",8",10",12",15" etc are ALL good for bass as long as they're made to handle bass's power & transients.
    I've 2 112"s & they work great.
    I've also a 412 that is my fave cab a & have used 15's, 10's heaps.
    Buy what you like & think sounds good & suits you sir.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    How do you like the combo of 1x12's? Pros or cons?

6. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    It's really beyond stupid to say that 12 inch speakers don't cut it for bass.

12's, 15's, 10's. One speaker isn't better or worse, it depends on the way its designed and built, and what kind of cab its put into.

7. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    I've used 2 112 cabs for some time, they sound killer. Your friend is full of $hit. They can put out serious bass. Many folks here suggest pairing a single cab with an identical one, but I have heard of people who are happy with a 112 and 210 setuo as long as they are the same brand/line.

8. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Yeah, I wouldn't mix cabs. If you get two 12's it's best to double the same one. It can work to mix cabs but the potential for problems and phasing issues is much greater.

9. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    This.

More common than the 112 + 210 arrangement IME is the 210 + 115 arrangement - again, it's not as sure to sound good as 2 210's or 2 115's - but if they are chosen very carefully (same line by same maker for example) they can work well together.

AFAIK the 210 112 mix will likely leave the 112 slightly strained vs. the 210 (115 is usually capable of similar SPL and power handling as a 210 - the 112's slightly less).

If you like 1 GK 112 - get a second. Double your pleasure!:bassist:

10. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I think that's a misconception that exists because guitar cabinets commonly use 12 inch speakers and up until recently, bass cabinets mostly used 10 or 15 inch speakers. 12 in bass cabs are completely different than the guitar versions, it's fine. I love my 2x12 cabs. If you like the one, you'll love the two. And if there isn't enough volume still, get a third and run it from the 100 watt amp of your head (full range). You have one of the few heads that can run three 8 ohm cabinets!

11. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    My rig consists of a GK 212 Neo and a GK 112 Neo. IMO it sounds awesome! I have owned cabinets with 10's, 12's and 15's. I like the 12's the best.
    BTW if you check out the GK club thread there are quite several people using two 112 cabinets and a few using a 212 plus 112 like I do.

12. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Man, this thread is awash in mis-information!! Speaker size does not matter!! If size mattered our headphones would be 20" wide!! What matters is the physical and electrical properties of the individual speaker in question and the enclosure used. The two parts work as a system. Evaluating one without the other is meaningless. Example fearful 15's vs fearful 12's. They sound the exactly the same. The mechanics of the 15 allows for more power handling. That is the only difference. The fearful enclosures for each have different interior volume. Capice?

13. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

One other thing: In general mixing cab types is a really bad idea. If you want to add a cab, your best bet is to use the same make and model cab you use now.

14. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the great info. and suggestions.

15. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I use a pair of 112's and I'm amazed by them everytime I gig out. For rehearsal I use a single 112 and it's plenty. Quality is important, as with anything.

The new ACME 12" cabs (sub, 3-way) really look impressive. So do the new Baer 12" cabs. The GK NEO 112s and Avatar SB112's are very solid and affordable.

I've tried 15's, 210's and a combination of cabs and nothing floats my boat like 12" cabs. The bass guitar is a mid-range instrument after all.

:bassist:

johnny_bolt likes this.