1x12" V.S 2X 12"??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ingemar, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    I have one 1x12" EBS Neo cab (freq resp.50-18k hz 35 L volume) runned by a Warwick Pro fetIII (300W) top

I think it sounds rather nice (and are perfecly portable) but this "rig" can't realy suport my Ibanez BTB 705OL fivestr. bass
    (the B string doesn't sound as good as it does in bigger rigs)

Will adding one more EBS Neo 112 cab solve the problem?
    or is a cab with lower freq.resp the only solution?
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i have found that adding a second cabinet of the same type (or another type for that matter) will result in an apparent increase in low end response. you'll also have an increase in volume. i would say go bring yoru bass, head and cab down to the store where you can try it with a second cab. i'm sure you'll dig it.
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    1.) Probably not.
    2.) Yes. B = 31 Hz - unlike the 50 Hz.
  4. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Thanks for your answer (two opposite opinions)
    I think my 50hz cab handles my ca40hz E str. rather good
    I guess I have to travel the 130 km to my nearest musik store and try to find out, as IvanMike suggested
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, this may not tip the scales in favor of either option, but I do find that adding a second (or even third) identical (or even similar) cab in the same vertical plane does dramatically improve the perceived low end. I also find that two seperate cabs often sound a bit more tight and focused than a single cab with two drivers (e.g., two 1x12's, compared to a 2x12). This will vary to a degree based upon the brand of cab, type of driver, and style of construction, but in my experience, I have found this to be true.

Now, with all that said, there are some cabs that are just designed to extend to lower frequencies, and if your cab rolls off at 50 Hz, even adding a second one might not be enough if you like to thump on a low B pretty hard. Yes, you will certainly hear your B string, and it will sound much better with two 1x12's, but you might still find yourself wanting more.

My guess is that it will be a close call for you. I have two EA Wizzy's, which are rated to 45 Hz, but I believe this to be a rather conservative rating. With one Wizzy, the low B is punchy and articulate, but not thunderous. Add a second one, though, and you'd swear that these cabs are rated far lower. The low B is still not as gut-wrenching as it is with my larger cabs, but for two 1x12's, it's darn respectable, and tight as heck.

Only your actual experience will tell!

Later, Tom.