1X12 vs 1X15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by murdermilk, Apr 9, 2004.

1. murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    Assuming watt-ratings are equal, how big is the difference tone- and volume-wise?

I think that the 15'' would be louder and handle low end bette and that the 12'' would have a tighter midrange, but I really have no idea.
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    You can't generalize based solely on the size of the speaker. There are some 12" cabinets that are louder and deeper than some 15" cabinets.
  3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    mikezimmerman is correct. For example, take the AG112 and the AG115. The AG112 has the same frequency range and is a much louder cab. 12s tend to be louder since they are a better tradeoff between surface area and speed (more efficient).

Tonewise they will be different. The 15 will be muddier in my opinion due to a lack of mids and overemphasis of lows. The 12 will be more full range. The tweeter will add highs to both. WARNING: I play 4s, so I don't need exteme low frequencies, your mileage may vary.

These are just generalizations, every cab is different. Cheaper cabs will have cheaper speakers that are not as loud or that have bad frequency ranges. A good 10" will have more lows than a cheap 15".