Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1x12 vs 2x10?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by justBrian, May 5, 2003.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Comments kids? I will be playing mostly pizz with a jazz combo, and occasionally with a big band (10 - 15 piece). I've been using an Ampeg B100r with K&K Bass Max, and the sound is pretty good. I want to move to a small rig like a 1x12. I will be using an older QSC MX700 (150W @ 8ohms), with an SWR preamp.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You should definitely get out and try some side by side A/B comparisons, as only your ears can tell you what your ears will like. Having said that, my ears don't care for the sound of 2x10 cabinets for DB at all - there's a bit of "falseness" about the lows and low mids that I can't stand which only gets worse as you get louder. On most of the 2x10's I've played, I suspect that this comes from the large cabinet design...it's almost as it you can hear most of the sound coming from the cabinet cavity rather than the speaker. I own two 1x12 cabinets (an EA and a Bergantino), and can highly recommend either.

3. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks Chris. I've been leaning toward a 1x12. Most places here in KC don't have a good selection of bass cabinets and I have been considering an Avatar as an inexpensive alternative. They have recently redesigned their cabinet and I like the way they look. And I can afford one. :D

4. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I did try the ampeg portabass 2x10 and it moved some serious air. But I tried it with my electric:( . I was very tight, centered and clean. I really liked it. But i've been noticing lots of talk about the 1x12, and think that's the way I want to move.

5. As usual, I agree with Chris. I own an EA vl110 and a Cxl 112 as well as an Eden 210T. Although the 110 is the best size wise I LOVE playing through the 112. My 210 sounds good for electric but I really don't like the sound for DB.