1x15 + 1x15 for funk rock?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, May 22, 2004.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    hey all.

i have a Mesa RR 4x10 and RR 1x15. The 4x10 has become a problem because it is way too heavy to lug around myself. I was thinking of trading it for another RR 1x15 in hopes that it would sound like the RR 2x15 which gets rave reviews from whoever uses them. the problem is that i play mostly funk with alot of slapping, and i guess that 10's are the way to go for my style of music. would i be sacrficing alot if used the 2 1x15's? would it not be as loud?

another thing i was thinking about doing is getting those new cabs with a 15" and 10" speakers inside, i think swr and ebs make those....any thoughts on those?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    10s for slap are definately the way to go. Or at least recommended. 15s will be slower and have less high range, and it will be harder fot them to do the highs; a 410 is good, get casters for it, or get a 210.
  3. You will never get a decent funk tone out of a 15" as you would get out of a 10" or a 8".
    But the two combined sound allright

You will miss that crisp high slap sound.... 15" are made for low bass.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I played a 215 for a couple years. It isn't going to work for what you want to do.

You're going to need a 210. Or, what about a 12?

5. Do you like the tone of the 4x10? If so, how about (2) 2x10's? This should have the same tone as the 4x10 and cut down the weight. It'd also give you more options, use 1 2x10 + 15 for smaller gigs, bring everything for larger gigs. I know, it's easy to spend someone's money.
  6. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    I think the SWR triad could be your cup of tea, it has a 15", a 10" and tweeter I believe. But what was said before is valid too, a 2x10" is much easier to carry than those 4x10" concrete blocks :D
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    In addition, I think a couple of Mesa Powerhouse 15s would work. I have one, and wouldn't mind a second.
  8. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i should of stated in my first post that i needed a 1x15 for lows (for whenever i'm not slapping...) so 2 2x10's would not work for me, and a 4x10 alone won't work either. i guess the 2 1x15's are out of the queston, so i was hoping someone could give me an indepth review of the SWR triad or the EBS 311, because i'm assuming that using 2 of those types of cabs would sound like a 2x15 and 2x10 used together, and it would be easy to carry those around since they aren't gigantic.
  9. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I've never played the 311 so I can't comment...

The triad is very inefficient though... It needs lots and lots of power. :meh:
  10. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i see thanks for the heads up. maybe it's just best to stick with what i have....unless the 311 is different.
  11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    After a certain contemplation and reviewing my desire to own Mesa cabs with my M-Pulse 600, I'd suggest you get a Mesa 2x10 RR, it'll be exactly what you need in a smaller package. You'll have the lows with the 15 and the highs with the 10's. They're smaller boxes so it's easier on you and your stage area :).
  12. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    All you'd really need is a 2x10 to replace your 4x10. Look into something very efficient, perhaps with mids/tweeters.
  13. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    the older 2x10 RR's are hard to find now, i've been keeping an eye out for a while now. i suppose i could get a new one but theyre kinda expensive. i'm also worried that a 2x10 won't be loud enough....but now that i think about it maybe it will be.
  14. TheAmpNerd

Apr 25, 2004
    Dallas, Texas

Consensus has us at this:

1ea rr 2 x 10 cab
    1ea rr 1 x 15 cab

Gives you the lows and the highs!

Simpler carry, but you might have to make one more trip.
    Then again, is one more trip worth it for your tone?

That is something only you can decide.
  15. I have had a Triad for years. I like it. I mic the 15 when recording. If you've got the juice for a 4x10 and a 15, you should have plenty of juice for the Triad.
  16. I think the 210's a good Idea too.I know my Eden XLT gets pretty loud so a Mesa should too.The Triad would sound good too but if you're point of getting rid of the 410 is the weight when hauling it by yourself,the Triad weighs quite a bit too.