1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1x15 & 2x10 or 2x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 1stYearThumper, Apr 11, 2006.

1. 1stYearThumper

1stYearThumper

Apr 10, 2006
    Ampeg Classic 1x15" + 2x10"

or

Ampeg Classic 1x15" + 1x15"

with a fender geddy lee jazz bass (brighter, lighter bottom end)
    and Ampeg B2RE

Which setup and why!

I've heard, get the 2x10" to round it out ...
    but also heard ...2x10's really lack bottom and are too bright.

So, any opinons and help please.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

This is still my vote. Yes, the 2x10 on its own lack bottom, but coupled with the 1x15, it creates an awesome sound. Together, these two cabs create a punchy, round sound that definetly does not lack low end. Each cab on its own has its merits and its faults, but put them together, and you have a great sounding gig rig.

3. 1stYearThumper

1stYearThumper

Apr 10, 2006
    xgabriel:

thanks again for your reply ...i'm trying to get as many opinions as I can ...I relly appreciate your replies.

I guess i'm really concerned that I have enough low end wallop ...obviouslly my geddy jbass is not famous for that ...so if i got the 2x10's i didn't want to be faced with a boatload of higher mids ...lacking deep bass.

I checked the specs ...their both rated at 50hz ...the 15" has usable hertz down to 28 and the 2x10"s have usable hertz down to 33 ...so you are probably more than right.

Thanks X

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    No problem. I used to use the same exact setup live. (Genz Benz 2x10xb and a Genz Benz 15). It had the capability of being fat and round with great punch, but plenty of highs if I needed them.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm running Avatar 210 and 115 cabs and love combination of punch and big bottom.

6. I put my Warwick 2x10" on top of my trace 15" combo tonight, and it sounded pretty darn good. The 10s add a real punch to the sound - the cab is higher wattage than the internal speaker in the combo though, so dont know if this will cause a volume difference between the speakers at loud volumes?

7. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I have played the ampeg classic 2x10 alone with good results on my Jazz. I did add a classic 1x15 to it and found it to be a wonderful combination.

Have had several different heads used with both and it all respond great.
    Sounds good with my SR5 and Bongo5 H too.

tk

8. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    My traynor cab is a 2x10/1x15/tweeter hybrid and it is the best of both worlds.

9. 1stYearThumper

1stYearThumper

Apr 10, 2006
    yeah ...I know I have been hard headed ...thinking 2x15's would be the best solution.

When it comes down to it ....the portability, the broader spectrum of tone, the ability to seperate and get 2 distinct tones ...it's becoming obvious the the 1x15" and 2x10" setup is the better idea.

You guys can understand ...i'm sure ...with me being new to bass ....wow ....2x15"s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whew that would be deep.

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.

10. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas

It also would tend to get muddy IMHO.

tk

11. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I prefer the sound of 2x10"s. I went with the calssic 2x10"/1x15" cabs, and found that all the 15" did was muddy up my sound. I play funk though, so I don't necessarily want booming bass, I want clear punch to cut through the band.

I'd go with the 2x10" and 1x15" in your situation. The extra advantage here is that for practice or small gigs, you can just take one cab along. Lugging a 2x15" will not be fun.

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What kind of music are you playing? What kind of tone do you want?

13. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Although it depends on the sound YOU want, I would definately go with 115 + 210. I'm using 115 + 410 + 210(highs), and I love the punch and low bass it produces. The 10 inches aren't as muddy as the 15, and I can hear the difference in the low frequency notes better this way, than when I use a 215 at one of the rooms we practice in.

14. 1stYearThumper

1stYearThumper

Apr 10, 2006
    Plain Old Me:

The bass sounds I like are:

Rush, Alan Parsons Project, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Chris Squire, Steve Harris, etc.

Basically old school, 70's and 80's pop, prog, rock, metal.

I am not into funk or slap ...though I think it's cool.