1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1x15 + 2x10 Vs 2x10 + 2x10 !!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mclaud, Jul 22, 2002.

1. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    Hi!
    i'm about to buy new equipment, 2 small cabinets ( i'm tired of loading my 4x10 warwick cabinet), and i've decided to go with SWR Products. So my question is, witch is better, 1 son of bertha and a goliath jr. or 2 goliath jr. i've seen their specifications and they have the same wattage and the same frequency response. the problem is that i can't try them side by side, i can just try the goliath jr.
    So what do you thing it would be the diferences!

thanks!!

2. i vote 2x10 and 1x15
    1) cos thats what i got :)
    2) its a very even setup IMO, while still being portable

good luck

*Si*

3. Ditto, including the good luck.

4. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have a Bag End 15 and an Eden 210xlt.They sound good together.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Save some cash. Get a Triad. Add a 210 later.

6. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    If your going for SWR get a SOB and the Goliath Jr. I just added a SOB to my Eden 210 XLTs and is it phat!I didn't think a 15 could make that much difference to my Edens but this thing did.Highly reccomended.

7. go for the 2 2x10's..

- more speaker surface
    - tighter sound
    - lighter :)

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I exclude myself from this, because I use 2 2x10s and a 1x15. Actually, I'd say go with the 2x10s and 1x15. That's my main set-up, and I prefer it over the 2 2x10s. I just use the extra 2x10 to put on the other side of the stage to annoy guitar players and hear myself better when I move over there.

9. AllodoX said...

go for the 2 2x10's..

- more speaker surface
    - tighter sound
    - lighter :)

Uhh... Allodo?

A pair of 10" drivers has less speaker surface than a 15" driver.

But - the 2x2x10 will be louder than the 2x10 + 1x15.

I use a 2x10 + 1x15 and if you have enough amp to drive it I think it's a great setup.

On the weight thing - I can only speak about the Eden cabs I have - but the 15" cab is lighter than the 2x10" :)

10. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    umm...which amp are you planning to use? If you will be bi-amping, i would go with the 2X10 and 1x15. I have a Hartke 5000 with SWR WM2x10 and 1x15, and it gives the ability to send the highs, up to the 10's and the lows down to the 15.:D

If your amp is mono, it would depend on the crossover, i guess :confused:

11. lets see..

2 * ( PI * 5^2 ) = 157

PI * 7.5^2 = 176.625

cranky.. you're right..

anyway.. a 1x15 sounds too muddy..2x10 gives you way more tightness :)

12. 2x10 and 1x15

The 1x15 will give you the low end needed when playing with a 2x10. Like i've said before, I don't see the point in having two 2x10's. The 1x15 gives a more versitile sound and a MUCH better low end. Try each combination out...you'll see the difference....the 1x15 makes it sound great.

13. i'v returned to add a comment :)

If you have to many speakers (eg a 410), the frequencies and tones etc coming out get mixed up with each other, therefore the idea of having a single speaker (eg a 15") seems reasonable. However, like Allan said in not so many words, the 10's have a smaller surface area and so return to their point of origin quicker, giving a tigher sound. Taking both of these points into consideration surely you can see that a 210 and a 115 is the combination choice of the gods :)

*Si*

14. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    hi again!

For those who asked, i will plugged both cabinets into my warwick quad VI ( all tube - 600 watts @ 4 ohms). So i confirmed what i suspected. 2x10+1x15 or not, i need to try them for a week, any sugestion!!!

thanks and i will post!