Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1x15 + 2x10 Vs 2x10 + 2x10 !!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mclaud, Jul 22, 2002.

1. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    Hi!
    i'm about to buy new equipment, 2 small cabinets ( i'm tired of loading my 4x10 warwick cabinet), and i've decided to go with SWR Products. So my question is, witch is better, 1 son of bertha and a goliath jr. or 2 goliath jr. i've seen their specifications and they have the same wattage and the same frequency response. the problem is that i can't try them side by side, i can just try the goliath jr.
    So what do you thing it would be the diferences!

thanks!!

2. i vote 2x10 and 1x15
    1) cos thats what i got :)
    2) its a very even setup IMO, while still being portable

good luck

*Si*

3. Ditto, including the good luck.

4. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have a Bag End 15 and an Eden 210xlt.They sound good together.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Save some cash. Get a Triad. Add a 210 later.

6. If your going for SWR get a SOB and the Goliath Jr. I just added a SOB to my Eden 210 XLTs and is it phat!I didn't think a 15 could make that much difference to my Edens but this thing did.Highly reccomended.

7. go for the 2 2x10's..

- more speaker surface
    - tighter sound
    - lighter :)

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I exclude myself from this, because I use 2 2x10s and a 1x15. Actually, I'd say go with the 2x10s and 1x15. That's my main set-up, and I prefer it over the 2 2x10s. I just use the extra 2x10 to put on the other side of the stage to annoy guitar players and hear myself better when I move over there.

9. AllodoX said...

go for the 2 2x10's..

- more speaker surface
    - tighter sound
    - lighter :)

Uhh... Allodo?

A pair of 10" drivers has less speaker surface than a 15" driver.

But - the 2x2x10 will be louder than the 2x10 + 1x15.

I use a 2x10 + 1x15 and if you have enough amp to drive it I think it's a great setup.

On the weight thing - I can only speak about the Eden cabs I have - but the 15" cab is lighter than the 2x10" :)

10. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    umm...which amp are you planning to use? If you will be bi-amping, i would go with the 2X10 and 1x15. I have a Hartke 5000 with SWR WM2x10 and 1x15, and it gives the ability to send the highs, up to the 10's and the lows down to the 15.:D

If your amp is mono, it would depend on the crossover, i guess :confused:

11. lets see..

2 * ( PI * 5^2 ) = 157

PI * 7.5^2 = 176.625

cranky.. you're right..

anyway.. a 1x15 sounds too muddy..2x10 gives you way more tightness :)

12. 2x10 and 1x15

The 1x15 will give you the low end needed when playing with a 2x10. Like i've said before, I don't see the point in having two 2x10's. The 1x15 gives a more versitile sound and a MUCH better low end. Try each combination out...you'll see the difference....the 1x15 makes it sound great.

13. i'v returned to add a comment :)

If you have to many speakers (eg a 410), the frequencies and tones etc coming out get mixed up with each other, therefore the idea of having a single speaker (eg a 15") seems reasonable. However, like Allan said in not so many words, the 10's have a smaller surface area and so return to their point of origin quicker, giving a tigher sound. Taking both of these points into consideration surely you can see that a 210 and a 115 is the combination choice of the gods :)

*Si*

14. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    hi again!

For those who asked, i will plugged both cabinets into my warwick quad VI ( all tube - 600 watts @ 4 ohms). So i confirmed what i suspected. 2x10+1x15 or not, i need to try them for a week, any sugestion!!!

thanks and i will post!