1x15 + 2x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Aug 5, 2005.

1. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    When I got back into bass playing again, I rebuilt my rig with two 1x15's (a Mesa Diesel and an SWR WM). It was boomy and bassy, but seemed to lack the clarity I wanted. Great compatibility between the two cabs though. I used an ampeg 4x10 setup for gigging long ago and was never too crazy about it. It could barely get the job done in most places.

Later on, I decided to try out adding an Avatar 2x10. It added some clarity and throw and reduced the wide boom.

After a while I added in a compressor and a Sansamp and with decently new strings, I can cut through through pretty well using either configuration.

I've gigged with both setups. All in all I thought the 2x15 setup was more fun because it had a huge presence and probably moved a lot more air, but the sound was still a bit loose. Since my guitarists dont use huge stacks with massive low-end, the extra bass from the 2x15 has been a good match.

With all due respect to GAS, I am considering trying out a 2x12/1x15 setup. Has anyone done this? Would it be the best of both worlds?
  2. I am currently using Avatar's b115 and b212 cabs. I do get a 2x15 like low end and some articulation like you would expect from 10's. The high mids were lacking for my taste so I added 2 Eminence Alpha 6 speakers to the 2x12 and took the tweeter out. That is just my taste and your's will no doubt be different.

I believe it will do what you want it too. :D
  3. dont

Jul 25, 2004
    A good 212 cab will give you the lows without the boominess and will give you smooth highs. Try a Genz-Benz NeoX212 if you can find one. You won't believe your ears.