1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1x15 + 2x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Aug 5, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    When I got back into bass playing again, I rebuilt my rig with two 1x15's (a Mesa Diesel and an SWR WM). It was boomy and bassy, but seemed to lack the clarity I wanted. Great compatibility between the two cabs though. I used an ampeg 4x10 setup for gigging long ago and was never too crazy about it. It could barely get the job done in most places.

Later on, I decided to try out adding an Avatar 2x10. It added some clarity and throw and reduced the wide boom.

After a while I added in a compressor and a Sansamp and with decently new strings, I can cut through through pretty well using either configuration.

I've gigged with both setups. All in all I thought the 2x15 setup was more fun because it had a huge presence and probably moved a lot more air, but the sound was still a bit loose. Since my guitarists dont use huge stacks with massive low-end, the extra bass from the 2x15 has been a good match.

With all due respect to GAS, I am considering trying out a 2x12/1x15 setup. Has anyone done this? Would it be the best of both worlds?

2. I am currently using Avatar's b115 and b212 cabs. I do get a 2x15 like low end and some articulation like you would expect from 10's. The high mids were lacking for my taste so I added 2 Eminence Alpha 6 speakers to the 2x12 and took the tweeter out. That is just my taste and your's will no doubt be different.

I believe it will do what you want it too. :D

3. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    A good 212 cab will give you the lows without the boominess and will give you smooth highs. Try a Genz-Benz NeoX212 if you can find one. You won't believe your ears.