Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1x15+4x10 VS 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jan 15, 2004.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Over the last few days ive been thinking about what my next rig is going to be. im not so much worried about brands, just the set up. Well, chances are that the head is going to be a Hartke 3500 or a Warwick Pro Fet.

Heres the gist, I play in a melodic rock band (a perfect circle kinda thing) and until lately my next rig has been a 4x10 on top of a 1x15. The 4 10's for the highs and mids, and the 1x5 for the lows.

Now, I haven’t been to any live gigs where the bass player has used that sort of set up. They have all used 8x10's, or 4x10s on their own, and they had an alright sound, not much bass, but that would be fixed with the EQ'ing. Now, is it possible to get satisfactory lows out of an 8x10? Id like to have a lot of control over my sound, and be able to shape it a lot, because in this band, pretty much every song called for a different tone. The 8x10 may cost more, but it will be easier to move around, but the 4x10's and x15 will sound a lot better, and fulfil the sound spectrum way more.

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I had a similar dillemma about a year ago when deciding on a new cabinet. I had been using a 18+210 setup, biamped or full range... thinking like you that the 18 would handle the lows and the 210 the mids and highs. I found though that the 18 was really a power hog and didnt do a very good job of reproducing the lowest frequencies. It moved a lot of air thanks to a huge surface area, but I wanted more low end. I debated getting a better 18, but in the end i switched the entire rig to a 610 cab. Im now really happy with it, its big and heavy, but the sound is worth it. The 10s are much more efficient than anything else out there, and the tuning of the cabinet allows it to get really low. Much more bass available than the 18+210 setup. However I really do think it depends on the manufacturer, I ended up going Genz Benz. SWR and Ampeg have an entirely different tone, SWR sounded too tinny for me, (even with he tweeter off) and the ampeg sounded too muffled and middy (even with the tweeter on).

If I can do it with a 610, I see no reason why an 810 (tuned properly) wouldnt be able to produce ample low end, just choose wisely. hope this helps a bit.

Oh btw imo the 610T-XB2 is very versatile... I play in a band that will switch from blues to rock to metal in the same song and it works great, very responsive to different eq settings.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Tough to answer because a lot depends on the design of the cabinets. F'r instance: I've owned 6x10 cabs made by SWR and Bergantino. The SWR is ported and has a tweeter; the Bergantino is not ported and has no tweeter. With everything flat, the SWR had a "bigger" sound than the Berg. I happen to prefer the focused punch of the Berg, but that's a big YMMV (matter of opinion).

By that same token, the Ampeg 8x10 classic is a sealed tweeterless box (like the Berg 6x10). However the Ampeg 610HLF is ported and tweetered (like the SWR). So, even though both cabs are made by Ampeg and contain all 10" speakers, don't expect them to sound the same. Likewise, 15" cabs can vary greatly in tone.

One thing I've learned about gear in all the years I've been playing is that results often differ from expectations. Another thing is that there is no perfect rig, you always have to make tradeoffs. With those in mind, my advice would be, if tone is important and you have a rig which works well for you, then stick with it and don't worry about what others are using. Then again, if convenience is important, then go ahead and switch. For tone, my favorite amp rig ever is the vintage Ampeg SVT stack, but due to a number of reasons I'm running a rack rig over smaller cabinets: the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages and I have no regrets. Good luck to ya.

4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I too am curious about this. I recently sold one of my Mesa RR 4x10's to purchase a Mesa RR 1x15 to accompany the other 4x10. My thinking behind it had to do with the fact that I have a 6 string on the way to me and the 15 could only make my remaining 4x10 sound fatter. Where as the additional 4x10 was only make me sound louder. My situation is a liitle different from yours since I was using 2 seperate 4x10 cabs though. If what you say is true about wanting to control and shape your sound I would think the more versatility you had the better. Go with the 4x10 and 1x15. It also would make your rig more portable in the long run to I would think.;)

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I used 6x10's for years kirbs. (one Nemisis 4x10 and an Eden 2x10). I never had a problem with the sound. Then one day I pulled my old JBL 15 out from the garage. Holy Cow! It made me wonder why I ever stopped using it. The trick is to CUT the lows. If that sounds wrong it's because you're listening with your eyes. Trust me, with the EQ cut, the 15 and 4x10 (or sometimes 2x10) combo sounded much "bigger" that the 6x10 rig. Cutting the lows meant I could also push the amp harder without causing the speakers to move too far. I can go much louder with a 15 and 4x10 than I ever could with my 6x10's.

I still use the 6x10 rig occasionally, especially on stages that I know will sound muddy and/or boomy.