1x15 Box Size ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pkeeg, Sep 11, 2000.

1. I have a 15" EV speaker in a ported box 24.5"H x 23.5"w x12"D. As all 15 boxes are deeper than 12" do these dimensions seem OK. Thank you.
  2. Looks ok to me. Tune it somewhere between 30-45 Hz. Give me the specs and I'll calculate the port for you. For me, it's 2 minutes.
  3. The Box already has a plastic tube in it (which I didn't measure). The EV speaker dosn't have any ID on it so here are the specs for the speaker I think it is. Fs 40Hz, Qes 0.27, Qms 8.93, Qts 0.26, Vas 229.4 liters (8.1 ft3), No 5.3%, Vd 0.349 liters (0.0122ft3), Sd 0.086 (132.6in2), Xmax 4.06mm(0.16in), Re 6.0+ - 10%. I got the speaker & Box for $50 (USA) so I don't expect high quality from the box but I was worried because it's only 12" in depth.
    Are these the type of specs you need? because the box specs are in the first post.
    Also the box has alot of that white fluffy stuff in it. Should I leave it in there or take it out?
    Thanks Again!!

[Edited by pkeeg on 09-12-2000 at 07:36 PM]
  4. Must be one mighty magnet on that baby! Great specs! A hell of a bargain (unless the speaker is toast)

I don't have my design tables at hand now, I'm at work (lunch break).. Get back to you tonight.

5. billbassbuilder

Aug 30, 2000
    You should follow the design criteria for the EV TL606 Cabinet. It is available from EV at 800-392-3497, ask for engineering. I have a complete set of blueprints from them on all the TL cabinets. I have built several for their 15" drivers, it'll blow you away! Another bass player friend of mine built one too a few years back, and we're convinced they are perfect! I even have a set of drawings for the W30 cabinet using their 30" speaker. What a weird set up! It uses something like six sheets of 4X8X3/4 plywood, stands eight feet tall and four feet wide! Crazy!! Anyway, get a hold of EV, they're good people to work with, and their speakers have awesome bass tone (you don't need a horn even with their 15's). Good Luck
  6. Joris, the Box has a 100mm diameter x 100mm long tube in one corner of it. So what do you think? Should the Box be OK (I use a five string) or should I get rid of it?

billbassbuilder, thank you very much for the info.
  7. That's exactly what my simulation came up with: 10 cm diameter and 10 cm long.

I think it's a very good cab. You should leave that fluffy stuff in, because the rear panel is so close to the speaker. It could reflect the midrange so much it would be annoying.

The measurements of a speaker cab are of minor influence on the sound. It's the internal volume that counts. I make my cabs fairly deep, cause I like the look of a compact front, with just speakers and tubes and no empty space.

8. Thank you for all your help guys your advice has been excellent!!!!