1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1x15 cab for soft and mellow music?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Margus, Feb 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Margus

Margus

Aug 20, 2015
    Hi,

I have just ordered an AI Clarus S4 head and now i need a good cab to mach it. I dont play any rock, its mostly very soft stuff. Imagine a spiritual setting, a lot of mantra repetition and complete silences between songs. Kind of meditative improvisational stuff.

What kind of cab would be the best for this kind of thing? Im thinking sweet and mellow low end. No grit, punch etc. It should move some air also so thats why im looking towards 15".

Any ideas?

thanks,

Margus

DukeLeJeune likes this.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Standard answer is that speaker size does not (necessarily) dictate tone. You need to test some cabs. But what you are describing sounds like you need flat wound strings, which is the best thing for low end thump.

Stumbo, revroy, bassdude51 and 6 others like this.
  3. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    fEARful 15 sub;
    straight wired, without the low-pass filter;

4. Margus

Margus

Aug 20, 2015

Haa, you are correct. I already use flatwounds and I pluck very softly close to the neck.

5. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Also get a sponge!

dxb likes this.
  6. Margus

Margus

Aug 20, 2015
    Hm. Never heard of fEARful stuff. Looks interesting, but ideally it would be compact size also. Im intriqued the "without low-pass filter" comment. Have to learn more about it.

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    fEARfuls are good if you are handy working with wood. Perhaps their 12/6?

8. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    One thing I don't believe you mentioned is what type of volume do you need.?
    If you don't need much volume then you could consider some of the more economic Guitar Center cabs. If you like what you hear and you don't need a lot of volume then....
    Do you see yourself using a horn or tweeter in a cab?
    I've found neodymium speakers tend to be a little more gritty as opposed to iron or ceramic magnet speakers. And also horns/tweeters can add grit in some cabs.

9. Margus

Margus

Aug 20, 2015
    I would not miss a tweeter. I actually looked at markbass 115JB thats without a tweeter. If there is a tweeter then there should be an option to turn it off for sure.

Volume: Most of the time i dont need much. But i like headroom. Just to be on the safe side.

10. Margus

Margus

Aug 20, 2015
    Thats new info for me. Thanks.

11. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    my Eden D115 is a master of this tone....mellow , warm , handles E thru G string notes with ease and clarity....and with a name like Eden you're already 1/2 way there, spiritually :D

it is older and discontinued , but around look for one

( it rocks out too, without breaking a sweat)

12. IME it's always easier to make a punchy cab sound smoother than the opposite, so you might want to leave yourself some room on the top. Personally I seem to have gravitated towards 12's and compact 2x10's for my flats. Though I've had plenty of 15's in the past. All personal preference as to what you like, though.

chiplexic and Margus like this.
  13. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    The 15sub issupposed to work in tandem with a 15/6 cab, so it is designed with a low-pass filter to attenuate higher frequencies. However I built mine without the filter, and just use my amp to control everything. I have a separate 8" driver that usually takes everything above 300-800 Hz, but sometimes I just turn it off and solo the 15. It sounds to me like what you want. If I set the 15sub with a 30-500Hz bandpass, it sounds really good by itself.

Margus likes this.
  14. Margus

Margus

Aug 20, 2015

Compact 2x10 idea: What do you think of this: Ten2 640 EX. That would be also from Acoustic Image, like the head thats on the way. I looked at it and i like the size and weight(read: lack of weight). I have no idea about the tone though...

15. I have zero knowledge, info or experience with any of the AI stuff, so I can't really say much that's going be based on anything. But I will say that I am a fan of amp heads and cabs from the same family. My guess is that they use one to help design/develop the other and that probably counts for something. Not to mention if there are eve any issues/questions it's all in the family.

Margus likes this.
  16. For what you are looking for (low volume, mellow) the Markbass 115JB should be near the top of your list. You might also consider the Fender Rumble 115 cab (you can turn off the horn). Produces a full, mellow tone from a light, portable cab. A custom, 3 cf sealed cab loaded with a Beta 15a would also do well.

btmpancake, Isotonic and Margus like this.
  17. Super Bass

Super Bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    Mesa Boogie Subway 1X15 is a great sounding light weight cab. I love mine by itself or paired with the Subway 2X10. IMG_0143.JPG

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  18. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Check out the barefaced 10" range. These are exactly what you describe.
    They are ridiculous in terms of size, weight and volume.

And another good shot would be Aguilar's DB series cabs. 112, 212 or 115.

blindrabbit likes this.
  19. REV

REV

Jun 18, 2006
    The only reason I can think of for you needing to "move some air" would be if you are playing larger venues. For smaller gigs ( less than 100 people) I use a single EA Wizzy 10. For larger gigs I use a single EA Wizzy 12. They are light and sound great. Lots of long excursion speakers can get low and loud without needing to be too big.

seanm and pudgychef like this.
  20. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    the cab specs will give you a better idea than the actually speaker cone size ...

if a cab has a tweeter , make sure it has an attenuator of some type ... volume , or on/off switch ...

i prefer a Front port ... versus a rear port that needs to bounce off of something before you'll here it ...

i would also want something that is efficient , for a low volume setting ... something that doesn't require being pushed hard to get the low freqs ..

AstroSonic and Margus like this.