1x15 cab reccommendations.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jim primate, Aug 8, 2005.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i was looking into simplifying my rig a bit and was curious as to any 1x15's that have good lows, mids, and highs. that aren't too woofy or muddy. i have an avatar b115 and personally i think it just blows. might be the speaker or the design but i can't stand it.

and as always, cost is a factor. thanks.
  2. bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Try Eden or EBS.

Or maybe you should try some 10 or 12" cabs?
  3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

You might consider loading in a JBL K140 if you can find one used. One went for 128 bucks last week on Ebay.

I think the Avatar is Eminence loaded. Not sure which model,

Does this cab have a horn at all?

Edit: I see it does.

A lot of people have tinkered with Avatar crossovers
    with good results.

An appropriate question is what don't you like about
    your current cab, the Neo or Kappa Pro, whichever it is?

When you address this issue, you give us a better basis
    to recommend useful changes.
  4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Bergantino HT115 (probably have to find one used).
  5. I love my Bag End S-15D's...very small, portable (40 pounds), and sound wonderful. They put out all the lows I need, and are extremely punchy and mid-focused. That said, if you're using 5 string basses and are looking for extended low end response, then I'd recommend something else.

6. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Personally, it sounds to me like your looking for 12's.

Want a simple rig? Stack up a pair of Aguilar GS112s. Simplicity,flexibility, and portability.
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  8. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i have an older avatar b115, no horn. no idea which eminence is in it.

the cab is just not clear. it loses all mid and high end frequencies. and leaves me with this "bass being played in the other room" sound. like it's not coming from the cab at all but elsewhere.

that being said, i don't like horns. they just seem artificial sounding to me, and i prefer to keep my setup simple. the less you have, the less that can go wrong.

i'd prefer a taller 1x15 that when stacked with another 1x15 would be about head height. (i'm only 5'4".)

the reason i'm after 15's and not 10's is i have 10's and they don't give me the distortion sound i'm after. 15's behave differently with distortion than a 10 does. i have yet to try 12's though. are the avatar 2x12's worth all the hype?
  9. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    On a budget I would get an SWR Workingman's cab. They are pretty light to carry around and have a tight sound. Mesa Diesel/Roadready cabs are super bright for 15's but they are getting pretty old and you might have to replace the speaker on a used one (about $280!).
  10. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Have you tried EQ'ing for the room/bass to tighten up you sound?

I have an SWB SonOfBertha 15 that I like, but it can get muddy unless I adjust the EQ for the room and bass that I'm using.

I have found that setting the right EQ is very necessary with my 15. This is not usually an issue with my 2-10, but the 15 is a different beast. Typically I will have to cut some of the low end anywhere from 40Hz up to 200Hz. This tends to fix the boomy and muddy sound that I will sometimes get, and helps to achieve a more punchy and cutting tone.

To do this I will usually cut some of the lows on my Walkabout's parametric EQ and then sweep the low cut frequency knob while playing on the open E string untill I find the tightest sound. With the correct frequency selected, I then adjust the cut level again until it sounds right. I've been able to get just about any cab to sound better in a live situation using this technique. It takes time, and can be a pain in the a$$, but is usually necessary with a 15.

15's have a certain mojo that you can't get with 10's or 12's. I know that 10's and 12's are the rage these day's and especially here on TB. I'd bet you can get that Avatar to work with some EQ adjustments.
  11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    How about trying a Bergantino NV215. It's taller, has two 15's, has a 6" midrange instead of a tweeter, and it sounds like the voice of God! :D
  12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the man speaks the truth.

however, i used a modulus graphite 5 string with mine and never had any issues. true, the low end wasnt subsonic, but the upper partails came out so nice that in most cases i didnt miss the really full fundamentals. (and the bass sounded tighter as a result)
  13. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I posted something the other day about how I've heard lots of weak, muddy sounding 15's as standalone cabs, and I bet it's because most players fail to go through this process, or can't because they don't have parametric EQ. Great post, which I'll remember if I get a 15.

As for the original question, a GK Neo115 might be worth a try. These Neo cabinets are very quick (I have the 112), so I doubt it will sound muddy at all, and of course they're light. I'm thinking about one myself.