1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1x15 combo opinions...behringer vs trace vs acoustic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HillBillyWannaB, Jul 26, 2012.

1. I'm sick of lugging my rack and 4x10 around to my smaller club gigs, so I'm buying a 1x15 combo so I can fit everything in my car. I'm not spending over $140 so the ampeg 115 is out. I'm between the behringer bxl3000, trace commando 15 and the acoustic b100.

I'm leaning towards the behringer or the trace, just wondering your opinions. Both of these are used. I'm using my Squier affinity V mostly these days. Its my classic rock band, not the Rush tribute band in my sig.

Thanks.

2. The Behringer is an absolute no. So Trace it is.

3. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    +1

4. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    +2.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I love my 15" combo. It's an older Carvin model. 400W into a single 15" speaker and it weighs 53lbs!

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    One of those is not like the others.

Do you really need us to tell you to get the Trace?:D

7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    I choose

D. None of the above

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Of the 3, eliminate the Behringer right off the bat. Then, between Trace and GC's Acoustic "house brand", go with the Trace.

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    +1

10. Yeah, my $.02 isn't even real $.02, but cutting the budget down so much, it seems like a good bet would be to get a smaller cabinet.

Anyway, cool page you got there, your band goes back...Maxwell's

There was another band in the early 80's, I don't remember if they were a full-on tribute or just Rush-heavy cover, but they were called King's Ransom. I think they would have been in the same circles and venues.

11. I did consider just grabbing a single 15 cab, I really like that little trace combo though. GC has a GK backline (?) I was looking at. Don't know much about those though.

12. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Apparently the backline stuff is good for the money... but in a much lower league to the rest of the GK stuff. Trace stuff is supposed to be killer... I wouldn't really know, AFAIK many of the entry level stuff from companies is only good, not great... while the behringer stuff is a lot less powerful than stated and has very little resale value.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    GK's Backline amps are pretty decent stuff. The Backline cabs....meh...you can do better.

14. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Buy a used Peavey combo off eBay. They are undervalued and are built like tanks. I've owned some Peavey combos since 1985 and they're still working....

I like the Acoustic, even though it's a Chinese GC copy....

15. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    +1, and lose the "rack" (whatever it is) while you're at it!

put the amp by itself in a little rack case, and score a nice small cab for small gigs.

if you're a 4x10 guy, why not a good little 2x10?

16. Hoping to pick up that little trace today. Just trying to keep it as simple as possible. Didn't realize the behringer had such a lousy reputation.

Thanks for the input

17. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Behringer = used Pontiac from the 80's or 90's - run the other way!

Enjoy the Trace.