1x15 For Roland Cube 120XL Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scottrolf, Aug 9, 2013.

1. scottrolf

scottrolf

Jul 13, 2011
    Bandon, OR
    I've got a Roland Cube 120XL Bass Amp that I use for my quick grab & go jam with my old college buddies amp (which BTW is a pretty darn good amp for the price) and would love to add a small 1X15 Ext Cab but don't know what brand would work well with it. I emailed Roland Support but have yet to hear back. Does anyone have any first-hand advice?

Thanks,

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    So, I assume the Roland has a dedicated SPKR OUTput then? If so, any cab that closely matches the internal spkr will work. Just make sure the impedances all match up as well. I'm not real familiar with the Roland Cube's, but didn't think they had a spkr out.

3. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    I have an older cb100 with 12 inch speaker. I use a 4 ohm extension cab, because the extension output isn't the same as a typical combo. I use an Eden EXL112 and it gives the Roland serious punch. Unfortunately, some of the places that I play at have dodgy power supplies-and the Roland shuts down into protection mode at ANY little thing. My Hartke HA2500 is much more reliable, so I tend to use it more.

4. scottrolf

scottrolf

Jul 13, 2011
    Bandon, OR
    Yes, it has a dedicated 1/4" standard speaker OUT which requires an 8 ohm, 120 watt minimum speaker. For an on-the-fly amp these new Rolands are pretty decent for what they are.
    I just was curious what was a good match for this amp.
    Heres the link to the amp in case you were wondering what it was. http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1144/479/features/

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    8 ohms or less for the external speaker.

I have the CB100 and tried both 8 ohm and 4 ohm. The 4 sounds significantly better.

6. 8 ohms or MORE, not less! That's what 8 ohms MINIMUM means.

Using a 4 ohm will put significantly more load on the amp and could lead to frying it prematurely. You may like the sound of the amp as it's being driven perilously near to destruction however.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    So then, you want an 8 ohm 1x12 as the best match to that combo. You won't find an exact match, but any good 8 ohm 1x12 bass cab will do.

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    To make a small bass amp go louder add a powered subwoofer. Then the subwoofer does the hard work and the bass amp can be dialed in for more mids and highs. The nice part about powered speakers is you don't have to worry about ohms. As long as your small combo has a line out it will work fine.

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Read the specs that you provided a link to. The specs don't say anything about minimum. It says "8 ohms or less"

Or, do as you please.

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    According to the owners manual, you can use 8 ohms or less.

11. I am sure it is badly worded.

Going by how you interpret it, I guess you can hook a 2 ohm load to the amp also ?

Go try and get back to us.

12. hypapanuse

hypapanuse Inactive

Apr 2, 2013
    Love Roland amps. I own 4.

13. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I've run mine on a four ohm load and it was just fine. I have an 8ohm SWR cab at home and it lounded just ok. I tried the amp with a Yamaha BBT110S cab that was 4 ohm with 1-10 and the whole set up sounded very good.

As for a 2 ohm load, I don't know how you would do that as I've never come across a 2 ohm cab. These amps like the old Nemesis combos where the amp doesn't deliver higher wattage (ie: 280 watts into 8 ohms, 450 into 4 ohms). The power output is in series.

14. Series connection for the external cabs would make sense then.

Manual should be better written.

15. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    From Roland's website:

"When connecting to en external speaker, make sure that the speaker conforms to the following specifications.

Impedence: 8 ohms or less

Allowable power input: 120 watts or greater
    UNQUOTE

To me, I interpret that to mean that I can safely connect a 200 watt, 4 ohm speaker. Am I wrong? Am I misinterpretting this?

16. If the external cabs are connected in SERIES, then yes.

ETA - Does the internal speaker always work, or is it disconnected when running an external ?

17. I also agree if the speaker jack is in SERIES. That would be highly unusual, however. Virtually all amps have their output jack in parallel.

Here's a simple test to confirm if the output jack is in series. Plug a speaker cable in, but don't connect the other end of the cable to anything. Make sure the exposed end isn't shorting across anything. Does the internal speaker still work? If so, the output jack is in parallel with the internal speaker and the manual is wrong. Wouldn't be the first time a manual has been completely wrong.

If the internal speaker no longer works, it's in series (assuming, as bass_pounder asks, that it works if the other end of the speaker cable is plugged into the cab).

18. scottrolf

scottrolf

Jul 13, 2011
    Bandon, OR
    OP here. I'm not the one saying to use a 4 ohm speaker. That was somebody else. Roland tech support even states to use an 8 ohm speaker and min of 120 watts but didn't offer any suggestion as to brand. That's what I'm asking about. Brand/model. Although the suggestion about using a powered sub is worth considering.

19. hypapanuse

hypapanuse Inactive

Apr 2, 2013
    The owners manual said EXT SPEAKER (CUBE-120XL BASS only)
    1. EXT SPEAKER Jack
    This is for connecting an external speaker.
    When an external speaker is connected, sound is played both from the external speaker and from the unit’s built-in speaker.
    * When connecting to an external speaker, make sure the speaker conforms to the following specifications.
    Impedance: 8 ohms or less
    Allowable power input: 120 watts or greater
    * Only use speaker cable to connect the speaker. Do not use any shielded cable designed for use with guitars.

'Nuff said?

20. Nope - NOT 'nuff

The manual still says nothing about series or parallel connection, nor about the amps minimum impedance load.

Very poorly written manual - IMO

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021