1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1x15 louder than 2x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by semborg, May 9, 2005.

1. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    In my experience, having had the 210XLT and 115XLT stacked for quite a while ... the 115 is actually louder in the frequencies we need most for bass guitar. Sensitivity ratings are done at 1khz, and I'm sure that the 210XLT puts out more energy up there ... but down between 30 and 500, where it counts, the 115 does better, and has a tone that really fills out the bottom rather than just punching through in the low mids.

I powered them with two sides of the same power amp, same attenuator settings, clip LEDs blinking in unison, so I think it was a pretty fair test.

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Hmmm...it was my understanding that a single fifteen has the radiating area of 2.5 ten inch speakers....

Mathmatically it works out to 2.25 but that doesn't take depth of cone or width of the surround into account.

somebody find us a speaker guru

3. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Assuming that the angle of the cone is the same on both the 10" and the 15", the 15" has 12.5% more surface area than the 2-10" (176.715 sq. in. vs. 157.08 sq. in.).

4. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Don't you ever get tire of asking? ;)

5. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    The Optimal choice for bass in my opinion is 2 x10 and a 1 x 15.

I have tried the 2 x 10 and found it wanting in the low end area.
    I have a 1 x 15 and find it wanting in the upper mids area.

Yes, it also depends on the drivers you choose. You can get a 15 inch driver that has good bass and good mids but looses out on the lows when you really get down on it. I like the Kappa Pro LF 15 for the one 15" cab and say Delta Pro's for the 2 x 10" cab. Right now, I am using two cabs. One with the Kappa Pro LF 15 and the other with a JBL E140 15" for better mids. They compliment each other and it is kind of unique in that you get some stereo type effect as you run up the scale where very low notes clearly project from the 1 x 15 and the upper low to mids from the other. The Horns help the higher stuff.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    All the talk about cone area misses an important point: how much travel range does the cone have? Cone area is meaningless, displacement counts.

Along the same lines SPL means little if it doesn't mention at what frequency that SPL was measured, if not just (shudder) predicted. 1000dB sensitivity isn't worth bupkus if it's at 10 kHz.

The simple answer to this question is that there is no simple answer. Loudspeakers are far more complicated than that.

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    The point is still correct, but the figures are very wrong!! I missed something important in my overly hasty calculation :bawl: sorry...

Truth (at least truer :( ) : 1x15 is about 12% more surface than 2x10!

So, with all other parameters equal (which never happens):
    1x15 is louder.

SPL of individual constructions differ.
    10" speakers tend to emphasize higher freq's than 15".
    15" show more uneven vibration modes (tends to mud teh sound more)
    etc.
    And then there is cabinet design...

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    As Bill said, it all comes down to sensitivity and displacement. Displacement is the product of projected area (the fact that the cone is cone shaped is immaterial and projected area doesn't include the surround because it doesn't really move in a acoustically beneficial manner) and Xmax (i.e. stroke). It is easier to get a higher Xmax out of a larger driver because the surround is bigger and can move further easily.

So for a given model range where both the tens and fifteens are designed as midbass drivers, a single fifteen will have a higher Xmax, greater efficiency in bass frequencies and comfortably more than twice the projected area of two tens.

Useful real world comparison - Oddio gets more deep bass out of the single 15" in his Whappo than four 10"s in his Acmes. In fact the 15" can compete with eight Acme 10"s, and all these drivers are designed for serious low end.

Downside? If you want a fifteen to go low and loud, it'll need to be in a pretty big cabinet (I suspect the fifteen's enclosure in the Whappo takes up most of the cabinet volume).

On the flip side, the tens in my Acmes put out more bass than most fifteens I've heard, despite the cabinets being tiny. They just like a lot of power to get loud.

Alex

9. And what's wrong with Detroit!!????!?!? :eyebrow:

10. Ummmm......assuming that all things being equal, and this is no way 100% accurate, if the cone where "flat" and not, well, cone shaped and one didn't have any crazy ass depth to the cone:
    A 210 has aprox. 157 sq in of surface area, where as a 115 has aprox 176.7.

Like I said, these numbers are based on if the surface area was basicly flat. Different manufactures have different depths for their speakers to some degree.

Oops!! Been said TWICE!!!

It's all ball bearrings anyway.