1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1x15 (or 2) cabinet choices?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Jun 3, 2014.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    I've got to make a choice between the Avatars, the Traynors, the Peavey, the Carvins or the ?GK Neo for a (8 ohm) 1x15 cab. Down the road I'll be adding another of the same cab that I chose/choose. I'll be using the GK Fusion 550. Which of those (not too overly priced cabs) would likely give me the best tone. (Deep, Warm, Punchy). Mesa's & Ampegs are too damned expensive (at least the ones that I like are) Ha Haaaaaa!! ...if there's another cab out there I should consider, let me know, Thanks. I REALLY don't wanna go beyond $500/550 but....? we'll see.

2. FooHead

FooHead

Jan 27, 2005
    Western Canada
    Old Bag End SD15's go good with GK amps

wave rider likes this.
  3. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    I'll put in a vote for Traynors..and of course I am a big Eden fan!....that's my D115 in my avatar

madjazzbass likes this.
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    my LDS single 15 cabs were under $300 each unloaded, and the emi kappa 15As they were built for were under $100 each; they're small and absolutely crush.

basscabs2.

madjazzbass likes this.
  5. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    Don't overlook the Hartke AK115.

madjazzbass likes this.
  6. Also check out the ampeg PF115LF. I prefer it to the pf115he.

7. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    The Carvins are pretty darn good! And fairly inexpensive.

Of course, I ended up building my own TL606, and TL606 "D" (for 2x15). Both have the Delta Neos, and sound fantastic!

LDS can build exactly what you want, and at competitive prices. I've heard them, and heard great things about them!

Best to try as many as you can. Hearing is believing (take your head and bass).

Good luck with your "hunt!"

madjazzbass and webmonster like this.
  8. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    I vote Traynor. I had one a few years ago that was one of the best cabs I ever had. Should have kept it.
    If anything goes wrong they are very good about repairs. When I sell my existing cabs plans are to get two new Traynor Neo15.

madjazzbass likes this.
  9. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Wow, those look really nice, who makes those? I mean, what does LBS stand for? I'm guessing that they're 8 ohm cabs right?

10. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeah Man, I'm sort of leaning in that direction, Thanks

11. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeah, it's the weight that I was also concerned about. Ampegs are awesome; I've heard the NEO's and absolutely love them but they're expensive , do you think these sound as good?

12. I have not tried the pro neo's from Ampeg yet. Little slow to get some items in my neck of the woods, and I have not taken a trip to Chicago or Detroit in a bit.

madjazzbass likes this.
  13. The GK heads sound great with the GK cabinets. AND I believe you can run that Fusion 550 in bi-amp mode with the GK NEO 115 cabinet(s). Good luck! So many choices out there, I know it can be a bit overwhelming.

madjazzbass likes this.
  14. Polfuste

Polfuste

Sep 10, 2010
    South France
    don't know about the fusion head but with my 700RB II, my gk neo 115 III is just perfect. lightweight but a damn good sound.

madjazzbass likes this.
  15. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    The Traynor Neo 15s are really good value for the price.

madjazzbass likes this.
  16. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeah, that's what I've been hearing, those and the avatars

17. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    1001 RB II with 2 Neo 1X15s.... it was heaven. They were the series 1s... the newer ones are smaller and lighter.... YMMV GK-01.

madjazzbass likes this.
  18. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    SHWEEEET!!

topcat2069 likes this.
  19. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On

madjazz....you in Canada?...L&MQ's have 1/2 price rentals this Sat the 7th....try out the Traynor....I'm going to try the 2x10 atop my Eden D115......my house will Rattle & Hum!

madjazzbass likes this.
  20. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    And although heavier, Peavey also makes a 115 with the latest Black Widow. I have had the earlier Black Widow and it was really good. I think they should be very good bang-for-the-buck. I might like them as well or better than the Traynor except the weight. Since I haven't heard either I am speculating based on earlier products.

topcat2069 and madjazzbass like this.