Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1x15 or 2x10 GK combo amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stevo4, Jun 12, 2005.

1. stevo4

stevo4

Jun 6, 2005
    which would yall prefer? im stuck on which i want, they cost the same so there is no price issue. i play in a jazz/rock/funk band so which do u think would best suit me? thanks a lot.

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I think the 210 puts out more SPL. If you need the 15, you can add it later. It's punchier as well, for funk and fusion, I'd think you'd want that...

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Two tens do not handle the 5 string as well as the 1x15 will. My first GK combo was a 400RBIII with 1x15 speaker (see profile pic), I then came across a RBH1x15 cab for a good price. While I was able to extract all the wattage from the 400 head it was not enough to push both cabs a higher levels so I got the 1001RB2x10 combo to go with the 1x15RBH cab. Problem solved!

Gospel Bass Player likes this.
  4. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I have a 1001rb/210 (i'm selling it (or my swr stuff, whatever goes first) but only out of necessity). i think it sounds great- i don't play a 5 though so i can't comment on that, but it handles the low notes of the 4 string pretty well. it's plenty loud, and has a surprising amount of low end for a 2x10 (it's a vented cabinet). i agree with other poster in that you could always add a 15 if you felt you needed it later.

5. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Having just bought a 400rb 2-10 combo I would say go for this set up. I add a 15 when I need the extra grunt when cutting through the mesa triple rec mess. :rolleyes: I love the clear tone....of course this is coming from an guy who started playing through and SVT and an 8-10. I have found the transition to SS very rewarding.

6. It is a matter of do you like lots of low end or punchiness, mids, and highs. Old school thump and earth shattering lows...1 x 15 hands down. If you prefer ok lows but good mids and highs...2 x10.

The ultimate setup in my opinion is 2x10 and 1x15 together.

7. stevo4

stevo4

Jun 6, 2005
    thanks a lot guys, when i get the rest of the money, 2-10 it is! this is going to be sweet!

8. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    I'd do the 2X10 combo and add the 15 ext. cab.

9. I agree, the GK 1001rb 2x10 combo and 1x15 SBXii are a great combination. However, when I really want to bring the deep lows and project, I simply bypass the 2x10 speakers and drive a Backline 4x10 and SBX 1x15 utilizing the power amp from the GK 1001rb classic.

10. Well, I would recommend the 1x15.

11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

11 years later I don't believe any suggestion would be of any help. ;)

12. <LOL

B-string likes this.
  13. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist Bassist for Michael "Epic Mic" Rowe

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Ahh June 2005, just finished my Junior year of high school and was about to get my first bass amp, a Fender Rumble 1x15 combo. I played an Ibanez GSR200 and scooped my mids...Those weren't the days but thanks for the stroll down memory lane Gospel Bass Player ;)

14. @Plucky The Bassist Indeed I often visit memory lane myself. Wish I could have done some things differently, as most of us could attest. Anyway, thanks for the shout out...:bassist:

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  15. Old threads never die...they just morph into eternity.