1x15 or 2x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I know i want 15" speakers but since there aren't many 2x15 speakers available here where i live except EBS or Hartke, what will the sound differences be by having 2 1x15 cabs instead of one 2x15 cab?
  2. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Sound difference? I don't know.

Portability difference? HUGE!

Something to consider.
  3. ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    1x15= loud

4. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I owned a ampeg SVT 2x15 back in the day, it enjoyed the dark tone of it a lot but that fridge was next to impossible for me to transport. I always ended up using my 4x10 for shows.

I recently rebuilt my rig (sold old stuff long ago) and tried out two 1x15's in combination. I found some good deals on a Mesa Diesel 1x15 and an SWR Working Man's 1x15. These cabs prob arent the best mix together, but I got some serious low-end out of it. I thought it was a pretty cool rig. I ended up pulling one out and using a 2x10 in its place to cut through and get a punchier sound.
  5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
  6. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Yeah i know some 15's don't really cut thru live, what would be best to pair it with? 1x12? 2x12? 4x10?

Is a 250w RMS cab enough or too little for use with a 350w head?
  7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Yep, it all depends on the cab. My Trace Elliot 215 cuts through with no problem. Now an Ampeg on the other hand... ;)
    If I was going to pair a 115 with another cab it would be a 212. I have to have my low end! :D

You will be fine.
  8. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Well, if this helps....I have an Ampeg B-15R. It was a nice amp but not loud enough, really. I added an Ampeg B-15E extansion cabinet (2x1x15) an it helped a lot. Kept the same tone but added some much needed volume. I'm keeping it now.
  9. I have a 59 year old female friend who still rocks out on her Gibson EB-3 bass, Sunn 200S head and Sunn 2x15 JBL loaded cab. I have never heard her complain about the weight and never heard anybody complain about her tone. The only volume problem she has is when someone asks her to turn it down. She started touring Vietnam and other military bases in '69 after college. Of course these days she uses a dolly to move her rig in and out of the gigs. If I were thinking about a new 2x15, I'd get a Bergantino NV. Somebody here just did. I think it was Tom Bowlus.
  10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Indeed, it was! This cab is really blowing me away. I haven't had a chance to gig with it yet, so I am fighting the urge to start gushing about it already, but let me say that it has so far surpassed my expectations (which were high to begin with!).

11. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I found this Bergantino NV215 cab. It also has a 6" midrange and whatever "custom phase coherent crossover" is. So, tombowlus - you use this cab by itself?

How much a beast like this run?

Thanks - Skel
  12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The NV215 goes for around $900, and its brethren, the NV425 and NV610 go for a tad more. The NV215 is very much a full-range cab. The lows are just about as deep as my El Whappo, and are extremely tight and quick sounding. The upper mids and "highs" are extremely clear and natural. You don't get the real sparkly high end, and the frequency response rolls off past 7 kHz, but for me, at least, the highs are plentiful and just beautiful sounding. Tonally, I don't really hear any noticeable peaks or valleys, and I would say that it is very accurate in its stated frequency range (37Hz to 7kHz). It is certainly very tight and articulate, yet full and authoritative sounding. I have tried it with SS and tube amps, and it loves them both.

It's no secret that I am a bit of a gear freak, especially when it comes to cabs, but believe me when I tell you that this is one of the finest cabs I have ever played! Truly, I am in love! :D

13. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I love the sound of 2 15"s but grew weary of moving them in one box. Two single 15"s for me now. If there's any sonic disadvantage, I don't know what it is.

For gigs where I want more top end, I pair them with a Marshall 2 12" guitar rig.

14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Man find you an old Mesa Diesel 2x15 with the EV's in it.

Best cab I've ever owned, and not really that much bigger than some larger 4x10's, both with casters on!

That thing was killer. Claypool used 2 for a good decade or so. I wanna definitely score one again.
  15. I highly recommend Eden's 215XLT. I have it, use it, love it. Got mine for about $650 from BassNW.
  16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That was one heck of a cab! I was very close to buying one a number of years ago, but at the time, I didn't have a vehicle large enough to transport it! Great cab, though. The NV215 is a good bit different, being a sealed design, but now that I think on it, they did have some similarities (great lows, articulate high end, etc.).

17. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I've used two 1 x 15" swr cabs for about a year. I used to have a gold Kustom rolled and pleated 2 x 15". It didn't move me then and not today. I ran across a pair of JBL 18" speakers and put one of them in a NADY subwoofer cab. The 18" puts a new dimension of low stank on everything I play. I still use one of the swr workingman 1 x 15" with the piezo on and my rig's been instantly upgraded.
    I haven't played through an 18" for twenty years and now I'm wondering why. (When I lift it, I remember instantly.)
  18. Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    i've never personally played on one but i've been to a gig(my brother's band) where the bassist was runnin through a 4x10 paried with a 1x15 and it sounded awsome. i'v also heard almost the same thing except with a 1x18 and a 4x10.........i think that one caused some minor brain damage.lol :D
  19. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Who else here had a Peavey 215BW cabinet. Man I hated to haul that thing around.
  20. 2 Avatar B115's work very well for me @ $239 each plus shipping. Or B410 Pro at $379 (Eminence Kappa Pro's) would lend a wide range of tones including kicker lowend.